Eye balding in rabbit

Nov 3, 2022
My fuzzy American lop, who’s fur can be used for spinning whoop (but because she’s sick and we don’t need/want to we didn’t) is balding around her I think left eye. I don’t know what to do I noticed this a few days ago around November 2-3 and it progressively got worse, her other eye is completely fine(minus eye discharge but we know what’s that from)

1B5A5AA5-7380-41A7-BF80-E30B0F6CAFF2.jpeg

You said your rabbit has e. cuniculi? That is a serious disease in rabbits. Did you have her checked by a vet?

If that is the case, the only true way of getting rid of her watery eye is to directly treat the e. cuniculi. I do not really remember much of my research but I seem to recall it is very hard to treat. You will more than likely have to work with a vet for this, because I don't think you can get any of the medicines they use for it over the counter. Plus, it is much more serious as this effects not just the eyes but the nervous system and even in some cases the brain. (Again, I'm going off of bad memory of old research and a quick google search a minute ago).

Her eye looks like it's 'balding' because it's so watery the fur is being pulled away from her eye. That, and/or due to any rubbing she might be losing some fur. Someone on here recommended to me to use warm chamomile tea bags to relieve irritated eyes, and that might work for your bun. It also helps to take a soft towel or some paper towels and do your best to dry/clean up the discharge from the eye so it doesn't create worse problems.

Again, if it's true your bunny as e. cuniculi, her eye is only a symptom. The only true way to get rid of it is to take her to the vet and see what can be done. I'm sorry to hear your bun isn't feeling well, and I wish you all the best!

You said your rabbit has e. cuniculi? That is a serious disease in rabbits. Did you have her checked by a vet?

If that is the case, the only true way of getting rid of her watery eye is to directly treat the e. cuniculi. I do not really remember much of my research but I seem to recall it is very hard to treat. You will more than likely have to work with a vet for this, because I don't think you can get any of the medicines they use for it over the counter. Plus, it is much more serious as this effects not just the eyes but the nervous system and even in some cases the brain. (Again, I'm going off of bad memory of old research and a quick google search a minute ago).

Her eye looks like it's 'balding' because it's so watery the fur is being pulled away from her eye. That, and/or due to any rubbing she might be losing some fur. Someone on here recommended to me to use warm chamomile tea bags to relieve irritated eyes, and that might work for your bun. It also helps to take a soft towel or some paper towels and do your best to dry/clean up the discharge from the eye so it doesn't create worse problems.

Again, if it's true your bunny as e. cuniculi, her eye is only a symptom. The only true way to get rid of it is to take her to the vet and see what can be done. I'm sorry to hear your bun isn't feeling well, and I wish you all the best!
Thanks! I’ve been trying to clean it but I also don’t want to hurt her. She does indeed have E.cuniculi but she started showing symptoms early so we were able to catch it early! She’s on medication now and is feeling a lot better, the eye balding started after she was on medication and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t another problem that I had to worry about! Thanks again!

Thanks! I’ve been trying to clean it but I also don’t want to hurt her. She does indeed have E.cuniculi but she started showing symptoms early so we were able to catch it early! She’s on medication now and is feeling a lot better, the eye balding started after she was on medication and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t another problem that I had to worry about! Thanks again!
Which medication is she on?

Oh awesome! I didn't know, hopefully I didn't sound condescending in my first post. :oops: 😅

Hopefully your bun feels better soon! I guess you could see if there are any potential side effects for any medicine you've given her, but I highly believe it's probably directly from her illness.

One of my rabbits had a small eye infection once, which is why I know a little bit more about watery eyes. The warm chamomile tea bags seemed to really help soothe his eye, and I remember it was tough too trying to be as gentle as possible cleaning it up. I think I mainly used paper towels and went really slowly.

Back
Top Bottom