1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye Bubbles, had Pox, possibly Wet Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fox, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hi all,

My original post on my chickens is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/709981 But I have a question more about my Cochin. I thought she had Wet Pox, but really am not sure. She did have a black spot or two on her comb and her eye was pox maked and swollen shut (rest of flock definitely had Dry Pox). Due to eye bubbles showing, I have recently treated her with Liquamyacin LA-200 every third day for a total of three shots. After reading some, added a dose by mouth the last two treatments. Her eye is still bubbling and I'm not sure if I should continue to treat with a new antibiotic or if she does have Wet Pox (nothing currently visible in her mouth) in her throat, then will this clear up at all until that is gone? I have read in various places to use Fishzole, but that is antifungal I thought. Any advice? Treat, cease treatment and wait? She's the sweetest chicken and is acting perky and eating well on her own now. I just don't want to do the wrong thing. If this is a respiratory infection, what more do I need to do to clear it out if the antibiotic I used didn't do it?

2. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm adding on here since the eye bubbles have not cleared up. She started on Sulmet, then went to Liquamycin LA-200, had three shots of that over 5 days, and also had some given orally (during same time period). The eye bubbles still have not cleared, but in every other way she appears fine... eating well, acting normal. She does sometimes shake her head, but has been doing that since she developed the pox. Her comb sores are clearing up quite well and I see nothing in her mouth. I just don't know if I should continue to keep her away from the flock or not. I am concerned because we are supposed to have storms the next couple of days and the shelter she is in is not the best. I'd rather she be in the coop. If it is the residual effects of wet pox, would it be ok for her to stay in the coop at night and then just shelter her separately during the day so she won't be in the same feed/water containers? Sure could use some advice on this....

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If it were me and my bird had wet pox, I would not put that bird with the rest of the flock. That's just me.

4. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well, I am assuming she had wet pox. I found what I thought was a lesion, but it came right off with a Q-tip and nothing was under it. I have gone back and forth wondering if it was yogurt or a real, nearly healed lesion. The rest of the flock had dry pox, and she had some dry pox marks on her comb and wattle and her eye was sealed shut. But all those things are healed. She just has the eye bubbles. She's been confined for a couple of weeks. If this were late wet pox, the others were exposed long before I found it, but I still have no definite answers on how long a chicken that has had wet pox is contagious. Anyone know? If there are no lesions visible could she still give it to the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by