Eye bump and eye closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adamcrewchicks, Mar 28, 2015.

1. adamcrewchicks

adamcrewchicks New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    It looks like the eye is just one big bump
    Is this fowl pox? There is one little spot on the red piece under her chin.
    i just got this hen less than 2 weeks ago- she is about 13 weeks old
    black sex links
    What do I do? besides call the farm I got her form on Monday?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hello, welcome to our flock! [​IMG] That is an unwell bird. Also unlike any black sex link I ever had. Looks like an EE. Hard to tell from pic if it is fowl pox or respiratory disease. Need a close up of face with comb and wattles. What does her breathing sound like? Does she have snot or runny nose? Do you see anything mucous like or lumps in mouth or throat? Her comb looks very dark, is it purple like lack of oxygen or black, black like scab or dead?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with JPB that more pictures would be nice. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm weather, so if that fits, it may be pox. Pox has to run it's course over 3-5 weeks, and you would need to make sure the chickens affected are eating well. There is no real treatment for it. If it's not pox, and instead a swollen infected eye, it could be a respiratory disease. Welcome to BYC.

4. adamcrewchicks

adamcrewchicks New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    No mucous. Breathes fine. Pretty adventurous as she is the only one who will go out of the coop into the pen. She definiy "rests" a lot. That is, she settles down in the shade and just relaxes. But all four do that too. She is about 13 weeks old. I got her two weeks ago from s farm along with 3 others.

5. adamcrewchicks

adamcrewchicks New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Will the others get this?

6. adamcrewchicks

adamcrewchicks New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Yes. It's been warm here in San jose and yes we've had lots of bugs.

7. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Most chicken diseases spread from bird to bird fairly easily. I would quarantine it and get testing done, treat it, or get rid of it. The bird does not even lay yet and is unhealthy. Not a good beginning for you and this bird. [​IMG] if you want to try to treat it, we can do our best to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by