eye care for silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallisa, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mallisa

Mallisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    I have a silkie chick around 10 weeks old who was born with a birth defect which doesn't allow her (his?) eyes to fully close on the outside corners so it's causing the eyes to dry in those spots leaving a yellow crusting which I have to wipe away. Does anyone know if over the counter eye lubricants would be ok to use?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    A pic would help, as it sounds like a very unusual defect and perhaps more is needed here than eye lubricant, in the long term anyway.

As for the over the counter eye lubricants, you would need to probably talk to a vet, or get the ingredients list and search the web for information on those ingredients and poultry. There are things available for birds, and some of those eye lubricants would have very simple and natural ingredients in all likelihood... But until we know what specifically is in them we cannot give you a positive answer.

Best wishes.

3. Mallisa

Mallisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    I will try and post a pic this afternoon. Thanks for your reply and I will probably end up calling the vet for advice. The little thing will need long term care and is currently in its own cage in the back lot, eating and gaining weight :) Just need to prevent it from going blind in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by