1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Eye color and leg color for lavender Minorcas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redandalusian, Mar 12, 2012.

1. redandalusian

redandalusian Songster

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    I am starting a breeding project to get lavender Minorcas. I will be crossing lavender Orpingtons into black minorcas My question is what would be the correct eye color nfor them

2. draye

draye Crowing

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    1st: [​IMG].
    Next I really wouldn't know, I don't even know the color for eyes of the Black or Buff Minorcas.
    My guess would be what ever they are.

I really did this so the genetic experts would come along and tell you.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just want to give some huge advice - If you're actually going to do this, you REALLY need a Standard of Perfection book and an understanding of what true Minorcas should look like and weigh. With that book, all your questions will be answered.

That said good luck with the project, from Orpingtons it will be a long road ahead. Minorcas need dark brown eyes and white shanks. (or dark slate on dark colored birds)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. redandalusian

redandalusian Songster

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    I have the standard of perfection and I have been breeding and showing Minorcas for a few years but The white and buff minorcas eyes are sopposed to be Red tinted and the blacks have Dark brown eyes I was just wondering if the Lavender minorcas should have the same color eye of lavender orpingtons or black minorcas. The lavender Minorca is not yet in the standard of perfection

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would breed with dark eyes as your goal.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would breed for Brown Eyes and Dark Slate Legs with the bottoms of there being White just like the Black. (My 2009 standard doesn't have Blue Minorca in it)

I would also try to find another breed other than a Orpington to cross you Minorca to. The Orp. will make a lot more work for you.
    You might try finding a Self Blue ("Lavender") Old English and using it in your cross. (Large Fowl OE will be a little harder to find than Bantam)

Chris

7. redandalusian

redandalusian Songster

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    The Lavender (self blue) minorca is not in the standard yet thats why im working on them. but why would the orpingtons be so hard to breed into MInorcas? I chose lavender orpingtons because they were the only largefowl lavender bird i could find . I didnt want OEGs because I thought it would be hard to bring the size back up in the minorcas ( My minorcas are10+ for the cockerals and 7+ for the pullets.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I believe what Chris is saying is that the type is so different between orpingtons and minorcas that it will take a very long time to get back to minorca type, and that getting back to size is less difficult than getting back to type. He did suggest large fowl OE, just said they would be more difficult to find.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I know that the Self Blue Minorca is not in the standard.
    The reason it is going to be hard with your cross is because of the big difference in over all appearance, (Body type, Feather type, etc.)
    If you are working with Large Fowl then you would use Large Fowl OE's not the Bantams.

Chris

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008

Since there is no standard for Self Blue Minorcas there is no right eye or leg colour. I agree that dark brown eyes & dark slate legs would make the most sense with a self blue.
    Also, your cockerels, if really 10+ pounds are at disqualifying weight [20% + above standard weight].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by