1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Eye Color??????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sloallie10, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    ok, sooo ive seen so many pictures of chickens on this website and i notice that chickens have a lot of different eye colors. can you post the different colors, or post pics???

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Edited by moderation - bumping is against the rules

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    REALLY NO ONE????? come on people

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

There are quite a few colors, ranging from black(ish) to pearl, with everything in between. Read the APA or the ABA. I actually have had birds with bright green eyes. They were sex links though.

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    how would i read that??

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You might not want to keep bumping your thread, especially after the mods edited your post [​IMG]

7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    im sorry i did not know i was soing that.... [​IMG]

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey Fizzy - APA is American Poultry Association and ABA stands for American Bantam Association. Google them (apa poultry, for example) to get more info.

I don't know anything about colored eyes - my Minorca pullet had dark brown eyes and my Barred Rock pullet had more goldish-colored eyes, but I don't know if different breeds have different eye colors.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I had black Turkens and each had different color eyes. Sometimes there is a standard, but sometimes not. [​IMG]

10. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

Most varieties(colors) have standard eye color the same way they have the same beak or shank color. For intance, Shamos (sp?) should have pearl eyes, and partridges should have horn eyes(orange). The APA and ABA in my opinion should be in the house of every chicken owner that is interested in maintaining a breed of chicken. Even if you don't show, the standards will give you information on the breed, including it's history and what colors it comes in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by