Eye completely crusted shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ribatutta, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ribatutta

Ribatutta Hatching

Jun 28, 2018
    hi
    I have a young Silkie who has had what I think is Mycoplasma. Antibiotics have got her back up and running but one of her eyes is completely crusted shut. I have spent ages over the last 2 days with warm water and cotton wool bathing it but it’s just not opening at all.
    Is there anything else I can put on it? I wondered if Vaseline might lubricate it a bit to help or am I best leaving it and hope it will eventually open on its own.
    Many thanks for your thoughts.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What antibiotic are you using and what dosage? Saline usually will help to get the eye open after wetting the eye for s few minutes. There could be pus down inside the sinus cavity. There are some pretty gross videos online on how to remove pus. You might want to try trying to express any pus from the eye and up through the choanal split in the top the inside of the beak.

3. Ribatutta

Ribatutta Hatching

Jun 28, 2018
    Using denagard (tiamulin). The swelling she had has completely gone down. There is no puss left it’s just left her eye completely crusted shut and I can’t get it to open.

4. Mrs. Light Sussex

Mrs. Light Sussex Songster

Jul 10, 2017
    Rechasim, Israel
    picture please

5. Ribatutta

Ribatutta Hatching

Jun 28, 2018
    Got it open. I gently massaged a thin film of Vaseline on it and it opened. It looks fine underneath just crusty bits left on the outside which I think she will sort herself in time.
    Thanks for you replies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: