Eye Emergency on Sizzle Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiegrl06, Nov 13, 2016.

1. chickiegrl06

chickiegrl06 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

Help! I noticed my one roos eye like this yesterday. I have started him on duramycin and have been told several different things on how to treat.
    What is it? I have been told its and eye worm or maybe ruptured? Several people have said to try and sqweeze it out. Is this a good idea?
    I'm newer to chickens and have no clue how to help him.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks more like eye pus than eyeworm. After flushing the eye with some saline or water, the pus really should be removed and carefully dug out with QTips, tweezers, and cotton. Once it is cleaned out, then you can apply 1/8 inch of Terramycin Eye Ointment or some plain neosporin into the eye twice a day. Once you get it cleaned out and the swelling goes down in a few days, you may once again be able to see the eye. Eye infections like this are common with respiratory diseases like mycoplasma or coryza, or when the eye gets pecked or develops an infection due to bacteria or a foreign body. Is there a bad odor? Any nasal drainage or coghing? You may get Terramycin at feed stores, and they also sell antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable or oxytetracycline to treat respiratory diseases.

3. chickiegrl06

Apr 29, 2016

I did manage to get most of the puss out. There was still a small peice about the size of a pencil eraser i couldnt get. He was starting to get stressed so i stopped. I was afraid to use tweezers because i didnt want to cause further injury. Should i try to pull the rest with tweezers?
    I also washed it with eye wash and put neosporin on it. I did start duramycin on friday should i use something different?
    No odor or nasal discharge. I think he might have gotten into it with one of my other roos. Thank you for the help!

4. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012

5. chickiegrl06

Apr 29, 2016

Its hard to tell but i think so. The smaller piece i couldnt get out was about the same size as the eye.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe try another session after he gets some rest. It sometimes takes more than one try. Injury to his eye from fighting definitely could cause this, but be on the lookout for respiratory symptoms. The eye could still be in there, hopefully, and might not be seen until this clears up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by