eye goop..... and slightly runny nostril....... plus.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7peeplings, Jul 7, 2010.

1. 7peeplings

7peeplings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    do chickens "pant"?
    why do they leave the beaks open a bit (looks like they are dying of thirst, though there are two fresh tanks of cool water REAL near by in the coop.
    anyway, ... is the slightly open beak normal? YES. warm weather finally came today in western WA.

BUT, one of my welsummers had a goopy eye at tuck in time tonight. 14 wks old, all (6 total) are beautifully, thankfully healthy otherwise.

Does anyone have a magic checklist for cream colored exudate from one eye? My birds were 'pampered' with meal worms and watermelon today (in addition to regular medicated chick feed and scratch) and all looked fine.

THANKS FOR any eye goop and 'panting' advice!
    sincerely, the party "previously known as 7peeplings since after de-roostering the flock we are six!"
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Yes, chickens pant-We live in South Texas and my start panting around noon, and never stop. Poor babies! I put ice in their water and sometimes I even mist them a little. I do not think the eye goop is a good sign, but you need someone else to respond to that question. Hope you get your answer!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by