Eye infection and some kind of respiratory problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mearpond, Apr 4, 2018.

1. mearpond

mearpond In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    1) Naked Neck about 5 months they don't feel any lighter than before.

2) To me, it sounds like a sneeze with my black one and my grey one is just bubbling liquid around her eye with swelling.
    3) Little less than a week. I thought they were getting better, as I was giving them both VetRx which seemed to improve their symptoms
    4) My grey and black did have some similar symptoms, but now only one has the eye and the other has the sneezing problem.
    5) no trauma
    6) Zero clues I've only have had them for maybe a month.
    7) Been drinking water with ACV mixed in it and eating organic layer crumbles and the occasional mealworm.
    8) Poop looks somewhat standard may be a little runny.
    9) I've been using VetRx and just wiping her eye clean
    10 ) I would like to give them some sort of oral treatment.
    11) Video posted below
    12) Pine Flakes From TSC

Thanks guys!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like symptoms of mycoplasma (MG) which is a chronic respiratory disease. Eye bubbles, conjunctivitis, and sneezing are symptoms. The antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable can be used orally to treat symptoms. Dosage is 0.2 ml given by mouth 2-3 times a day for 5 days. The disease may come back again if the chicken is stressed, such during molting or cold weather. She and probably your flock will remain carriers of MG for life.

mearpond likes this.
  3. mearpond

mearpond In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    how do they get it originally?

Very informative thank you sir!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They get it from carrier birds, wild birds, contamination from other sick birds on shoes, equipment, handling, and some birds may get MG through a hatching egg. Birds from breeders and especially at swap meets may look fine, but can be carriers. Chickens with immunity problems can be especially at risk, while some chickens may never get sick.

mearpond likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: