Eye infection!? Ear & side of head very swollen, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chickita, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    My 9-month old polish hen, Mavis, has a huge swollen area on the right side of her face. Her eye is swollen hurt and red. The eye appears to be oozing clear liquid. It has only been there today. It looks like a big swollen infection. She's also behaving a little less active than usual. I would very much appreciate any advice anyone has. I've very worried about her.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Does anyone know how to treat an eye infection?

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    IF in fact it is an eye infection, I believe there are antibiotic eye drops(Terramyacin, I THINK).
    If it is being cause by a respiratory illness(which is possible) I would put a water soluble antibiotic into their drinking water.
    Good luck to you!

4. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Thank you so much! Do you know where to get the antibiotic eye drops?

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I wish I did. I've never bought them so I have no clue. Sorry.
    Make a new post in this section asking if anyone knows where to buy them-someone surely will!

6. lgallegos

lgallegos New Egg

Apr 29, 2010
    Justanswer.com vet advised me to use Tylan which I ordered online for $50. It worked right away and was worth it. You can also press on the side of the eye sometimes and the infection will come out. It's gross and you need a kleenex to do it with. But the chicken felt much better right away.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:My feed store carries this. It's not drops, it's a small tube of ointment. You can smear it gently on the closed eye and some will get in.

8. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:Thanks! I was afraid to do anything like that because I thought that it might hurt her. I'll do that right away. Thank you for the advice!

9. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into using Tylan and probably order some. Also, I searched for "ointment" instead of drops and found that the feed store carries terramycin eye ointment. Thanks for the helping with the terminology! Wish me luck! Any additional advice is also still very very much appreciated!

10. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    If her head is swollen under her eye then its probably an upper resipitory virus and needs the tylan.I use the injectable and it usually clear i up in 3-4 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by