1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye infection - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by numi2002, Nov 24, 2014.

1. numi2002

numi2002 New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    We took our hen to the vet and he said she certainly has an eye infection. He prescribed antibiotics for a week to be taken in her water, and eye drops. Has anyone had experience with this before?

[​IMG]

2. chalidobrenz

chalidobrenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Poor thing! I have a chicken with an injury to the eye, but nothing like this! Has yours stopped eating/drinking a lot because of this?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks to be either an eye injury from a peck wound if you see a spot, or possibly a respiratory sinus infection such as MG (or mycoplasma.) Coryza can also possibly be a cause if you notice a bad odor around the face. Respiratory illnesses are contagious and can make carriers of the flock. If there is pus visible in the eye, it should be removed with a QTip.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  4. chickenman5024

chickenman5024 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    Texas
    I have Mille Fleur D'uccles with the same problem and I would suggest putting Vetrycin in her eyes it helps a little. Mine are still not over it yet. It can be found at local feed store. Hope this helps some, good luck

5. numi2002

numi2002 New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    Thankfully its getting better now, she doesn't seem to have a sinus infection because there's no puss visible in her eye. For now we put her in a separate coop but I was wondering how long she should be separated from the other hens...

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep her separate until she looks more normal. Sometimes swelling around the eye can get worse, and sometimes there is pus underneath the skin that kind of solidifies. I haven't dealt with it myself, but there have been quite a few cases here on BYC with pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by