1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye infection remedies...help please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsfrango, Oct 6, 2012.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Ok so I lost a couple youngsters to eye infections some months bk. now it popped up in my SQ Sumatra Roo!:( I DO NOT want to lose this one. He's my only Sumatra Roo to go with my 4 sq hens. What is the best remedy for this?

I tried some silver 100 spray, ointment on the birds before and obvioudly worked like crap. Now im trying antibiotics and its still progressing quickly! Help me pleaseee

2. Zanily

Zanily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2012
    Do his eyes look like they have bubbles in the corners?

If so, it'd likely your rooster has Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) rather than an eye infection. If you suspect the rooster has MG he needs to be treated with Tylan, Baytril, or Gallimycin immediately.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    there were some bubbles there. Ive seen that before in 1 of my roosters and it just went away without treatment...that was during the summer. At this point his eyes keep crusting completely shut so I have to pry them open. When they open they pus out alot...(sorry for the gruesome details)

4. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Tylan is an antibiotic right? I think that may be what i have. To make sure he was getting it in him I used an eye dropper and squirted that down his throat with som evitamins also.

5. Zanily

Jul 25, 2012
    Yes, your rooster sounds like he has Mycoplasma gallisepticum.

MG is extremely contagious, you should remove the rooster and any other infected birds from the rest of the flock. Once the infected birds have been isolated, thoroughly disinfect the coop and pen to avoid any more birds becoming sick.

When you handle your sick rooster make sure you wash your hands before you go near your other birds. MG can be carried in on shoes, clothing, feeders and drinkers too.

The sooner you treat MG the higher the chance of survival. Some chickens are carriers of MG and have no symptoms, other times MG can be caused by stress. Either way, once your birds have MG it will remain in the flock so bringing any new birds into an established flock of MG carriers is'nt a good idea.

Where have you had the antibiotics from? What does it say on the bottle?

6. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Wow, that is not good news:( Im not at home so i cant check at the moment. Its a pack of it. From Tractor supply. He is separated though....... Ill get bk to you when I get there.

How do you prevent this from happening? I havent added any new birds in months...

7. Zanily

Jul 25, 2012
    Sadly it's often very difficult to prevent MG.

Some birds carry dormant MG, these birds show no symptoms and are often immune to the infection but can still infect other birds. It's near impossible to tell which bird is the carrier and as the infection spreads, several birds can carry the infection without becoming sick.

It's likely that you've added a carrier of MG to your flock without knowing and your other birds have become infected via that bird. You shouldn't add any new birds to your flock because the new birds may also get Mycoplasma gallisepticum from the MG carrier bird(s).

When MG spreads it eventually slows/stops egg production without treatment, this is the reason why farmers will sometimes cull their entire flock to get rid of the MG cycle :(

8. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thank you for your info. I looked up Mycoplasma gallisepticum your very accurate with your info. This kind of makes it depressing to know your flock is a carrier. At this time its actually kind of difficult to care for the birds considering I dont live there anymore. My grandma lets them out in the morning and puts them in at night and I go every other day to change waters and feed. Im dreading the winter. Is it bad that Im thinking about just culling him or letting him bite the bullet and sell off the ret of my birds. (I have 27) Maybe I can just start fresh in a couple years when I can get my own house

9. Zanily

Jul 25, 2012
    You're welcome, I'm happy to help and I'm sorry to hear you're finding caring for the birds difficult at the moment.

I'll offer you the best advice I can but first I must ask if all of the birds are being kept together as one flock or are they separated into different smaller flocks?

If your chickens are split up into different flocks, is the sick Sumatra rooster part of the same flock as the other chickens that have recently died from the same problem?

10. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Theyre all the same flock. The sumatras are the newest birds I have whixh I gt at least 2 months ago. The others that died were before I introduced these. But most of my birds I have hatched myself this spring....Is there any possibility it is not MG and be something minor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by