eye infection/respiratory ailment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dappertophatter, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    1) What type of bird , age and weight
    She is a 3-year-old WCB Bantam Polish, slightly under her normal weight but not alarmingly so.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She cannot open her eye, which has been producing white goopy material.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Monday night- 3 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No- I am fairly sure it is not contagious.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No. General unease, wheezing. She often attempts to wipe her eye off on various objects.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    She got a shaving stuck in her eye Mon. night, and seemed to be improving so I left her alone except for daily eye cleaning.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Purina Layena & Scratch, water, whatever she picks up in our yard.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Unsure- I've only just isolated her.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Saline eyewash, isolation with various treats to build up her strength. I'm picking up a gel from Agway- will post brand name ASAP as I foolishly forgot to write it down.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would prefer not to go to the vet, but will if necessary.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Will shortly.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    6x4 coop, 12x4 run- pine shaving bedding.

Thank you in advance for any help- she was one of the first birds I hatched out and is rather special. She is eating and still spunky, aside from her right eye which is stuck shut. She is reluctant to open it and is slightly wheezy. She is also very quiet, which is unusual because she is the 'talkiest' bird I own.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by