Eye infection, respiratory infection? Pics included.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CJReni, Aug 9, 2013.

1. CJReni

CJReni New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    This is Lollie, she's 8 weeks old. After we brought her home we noticed her eye selling, and then crusties starting to form. We have been cleaning it out with boogie wipes and doctoring it with neosporin thinking she got poked. It hasn't gone away and we are concerned. She doesn't have any other symptoms. No wheezing, or rattling. She has been eating like a pig and drinking. I have noticed once she had what looked like boogies on her beak. But no sneezing.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Pardon the pooch. She has to be the center of attention.

2. CJReni

CJReni New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    Anyyyyone?

3. lgrant1

lgrant1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Nancy, Kentucky
    Looks like a respiratory illness. Try duramyacin in her water for 5 days. I get the powder form at tractor supply in my area. It will say livestock, should be with the horse/goat/cattle meds.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Igrant1 has given good advice. However, Duramycin may or may not work; it is not the strongest antibiotic. If it doesn't work, get Tylan50 or Tylan200. These two antibiotics are also found in the livestock section of a store. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl and .5ccs for bantams. When using Tylan200, give .5ccs to a large fowl or a large bird, and .1-.3ccs to a bantam or a small bird. For your bird, because she is eight weeks old, I'd treat her as if she was a bantam. Give Tylan with a syringe and 20-22 gauge needle. Inject it into the breast muscle, alternating the side of the muscle each day to prevent it from being too painful or damaging. Give Tylan50 for five days, and Tylan200 for 3-4 days. Tylan will cure most respiratory infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by