Eye Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ErinG, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    18 week old speckled Sussex, I noticed the membrane at the back of her eye popped out earlier this week. I suspect it was pecked, as I have older birds. It didn't seem to bother her unless it went back in. Then she would hold her eye shut like it was painful. But it seems to be getting worse and possibly infected. What can I do for her? I might have some antibiotic people eye drops if I didn't toss them. The first picture is earlier this week, the second is from today. She was shaking her head a bit tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is part of the conjunctiva, and she could have an infection of that, or there could be an overgrowth of the tissue. I have seen pictures of cysts and tumors of this. Does she have any other symptoms? I would use some Terramycin eye ointment from your local feed store twice a day in the eye. Your local vet may be able to prescribe something even stronger, such as Ciprofloxacin. Is there any drainage coming from the eye, and can you look inside the eye, just in case of a foreign body or speck of dirt.

3. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanks for the advice, no drainage. I tried looking the first time I saw it and she was not having it (obviously). It wasn't really bothering her at that point and wasn't inflamed so I didn't push it. I just ordered some Vetericyn eye gel, as I've had good results with the wound gel. I didn't see antibiotic eye ointment but will go that route next. She is acting normal otherwise and her eye was not like this before, nor does her other eye look like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by