Eye Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joeychickenman, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Joeychickenman

Joeychickenman New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    I am raising my very first group of chicks. Shortly after getting home from the hatchery, I noticed my orpington's eye looks funky. It's also sleeping facedown, which may be normal but looks odd. Does this look familiar? I'm wondering if I should take it to the vet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. Joeychickenman

Joeychickenman New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    I just caught one of the other less than 7 day old chicks pecking this birds good eye. Nasty!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Get some antibiotic eye ointment or drops from the feed store. Or if you have a close relative or friend who has had cataract surgery, beg their leftover eye drops.

However, if your chick is lethargic and sleeping more than the others, it may have a respiratory infection. That would require antibiotics and isolation from the rest of the chicks.

If you have observed another chick pecking this chick in the eye, it's likely how the eye got "funky". If you can get some cataract surgery eye drops, they include antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and a steroid. Use all three.

You probably should read my BYC article on how to stop aggressive chick behavior. It's linked below my post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by