Eye infection??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redwine2001, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Redwine2001

Redwine2001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    My female duck has a bubbly looking eye, we wiped it off with a damp paper towel and it appeared dirty. But later I saw that it looked the same way again.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try some eye antibiotic ointment. Or if you know someone who's gone through cataract surgery, you can ask them for their unused antibiotic eye drops. They work as well on poultry as they do on people.

First you might simply try flushing the eye with saline eye drops to see if perhaps there's merely a foreign body in the eye.

3. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Hello sorry to hear about your bird I would really recommend getting Taylan50 which you can find a tractor supply. I would give him it orally, 1/2cc to 1cc (depending on the size of your bird 1cc for a rather large chicken) a day for 3 to 4 days. And then see how he's doing. I would also suggest getting antibiotic polysporin eye drops(can find at a pharmency such as Walgreens), putting a few drops in each eye of the bird to stop the spreading from one eye to another and to stop the infection.

4. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    That's just my opinion, the Tylan works great same with the polysporin. If you can't find either of these products take regular antibiotic ointment (not pain relief that would most lickely sting when in the eye) use your finger and gently smear the ointment directly into the eye and around it. I would do this for at least 4 days or until it clears up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by