eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pccarver, Feb 11, 2017.

1. pccarver

pccarver New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    I have a rooster I got a month ago that suddenly has white foam in his eye, constantly. Would anyone know what it could be, if treatable, and if so with what?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is it just one eye affected, or both? Does he display any other respiratory symptoms, like sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or nasal discharge? He may have a simple eye infection, but it is also possible that he has a common respiratory disease. Unfortunately, many respiratory diseases are viral, which means they can't be treated with antibiotics and infected birds may remain carriers of the disease for life.

For now, I would treat him as if the infection (whether eye or respiratory) is caused by a bacteria. The best antibiotic I've found for infections is Tylan50 or Tylan200. Due to new regulations, if you're in the United States, you may have to ask a vet for an antibiotic prescription. Tylan used to be found in most feed/animal supply stores, but I'm not sure if that is the case now.

If you can get Tylan50 or Tylan200, you can administer it to your rooster either orally or through intramuscular injection. The oral method is easier, but the injections often work faster. Dosage information for Tylan is varied. However, for a large fowl rooster, using Tylan50, I would give 1-1.5 ml once a day for five days. For a bantam, using Tylan50, I would probably give .4-.5 ml once a day for five days. If you're using Tylan200, I would give a large fowl bird .5 ml, again once a day for five days. For a bantam I would give .2-.3 ml once a day for five days.

If you haven't already, I would also make sure your rooster is separated from any other chickens to help prevent spreading disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by