Eye infection???

chickengirl8

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
I noticed yesterday one of my hens face looked a little funny. I thought maybe it was the fact she missing a little bit of feathers from being picked on a little over this winter so far. When looked harder I noticed that one of her eyes isn't right. As of now it's has just like a cloudy flim over it. She also doesn't want to keep it open a lot.

I thought I'd use Terramycin if it's an eye infection. Does it sound like one? Also, is there any risk to the eyes if I use that antibiotic? (I have a lot of hens and it'd be hard to tell her egg from the rest of the flock.)

Tylan 50 or VetRx. VetRx is the cheaper way to go. And if shes not already, you need to seperate her from the rest of your chickens, and keep a close eye on them to make sure they dont get it.

there is a terramycin ointment you can get at farm/feed stores..

could she have been pecked?
the film you see might be the second eye lid.
could be injured..
clean with a little saline eye wash, apply the ointment..
if you have human eye antibiotic ointment or drops..you can use that.

I have a bantam roo that mixed it up with my other roo, and had a bad eye injury..and the second eye lid was down making the eye look filmy, and for some days he didn't want to open it..
I feared he would lose the eye..but I treated him with the eye wash, and ointment and he is fine.

but having Tylan 50 on hand is always a good idea.
watch for symptoms..

is she eating?

you might want to think about separating her somehow..if she is being bullied regularly..
they could injure her badly, even kill her.
see if you can figure out who the bully is..
and separate her from the others a few days..
it could help change the dynamics of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom