Eye infection?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkie_boi, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    Hey, are chicks prone to eye infections? One of my two chicks seem to have a problem with one of its eyes. It looks a little swollen and really wet, like mucus or something. Would you advice be to take it to a vet? (Although i don't know if my vet has experience with chickens lol)

I don't know if maybe the other chick has something to do with it.

Also i don;t know if this is common behavior with chicks, but my two seem to rub their heads along my palm, or the ground or wherever it seems to be, as if its got an itchy head or someting or something is irritating it although this could just be normal, i have no idea :S

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    If they are itching they could have mites, that would also affect they're eyes. I would inspect under they're feathers carefully and you can dust them with mite powder if they do have them.

3. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    i don't think it is itching, its only sometimes here and there they rub there head/beak along the ground but they dnt seem to itch anywhere else. I'll have a look and see. I called the vet and they said to wash it with sterilized water for a few days and if the problem persists then take them to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by