1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2dancingrats, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    She looks to have an infection around her eye socket. The area is swollen and pussie. I touched a tissue to the area and puss came out. She seemed to appreciate this. The swelling is enough to make her eye appear sunken in. Is there something I can do for her?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could it be eye worm? google it and see if it matches up. Keep us updated

3. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thanks. Thankfully that didn't match up. Plus these hens are not confined to a hen house and their house has no cockroaches.
    I'm thinking (hoping) she just got something in the duct and now its infected.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank goodness about the eyeworm, Have you tried warm compress and some kind of antibiotic salve for eyes? if it's infection she should probably be on antibiotics too your local feed store should carry antibiotics

5. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    No, I really haven't tried anything yet. Just noticed it tonight and didn't know what would be okay to use on her.
    I'll try the feed store, but in my area that's about 50 miles away and I can't go until the weekend (its closed by the time I get out of work).
    Can I use eyewash?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think it would hurt her to use eye wash. Sorry for not answering sooner. Hope she's better today. Thats a bummer that your feed store is 50 miles away.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Eye wash will be a good start. Teramycin is the eye ointment you want. I think you may be able to get it at a drug store, but for sure at feed or pet stores..........Pop

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    feed store has it...about 12 dollars here...

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think she should also put her on oral antibiotics?

10. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    Personally, I would just because you don't know for sure what caused it. Do you have any? If not, then if it doesn't look better by the weekend when you can get to the feed stor then I definitely would!

Good luck! I had one that had an eye infection and she ended up going blind in that eye. Not to scare you or anything, but that could possibly be a result of the infection.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by