eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smavfrace, Aug 9, 2011.

1. smavfrace

smavfrace New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Yesterday I noticed that my orpington's eye is wierd. The skin around it is stretched and a little swollen. I've been putting neosporin on. She's acting lethargic and doesnt want to come out of the coop. I dont know if she's eating and drinking or not. My other hens seem fine. I would put up a picture but for some reason I cant upload or paste any. I know its not much to go on but if anyone has any advice I would really welcome it.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Is it the eye it self or around the eye? Because you never want to put neosporin in the eye it's is a petrolatum product. There is a eye ointment "Terramycin" which is used for eye infection. This can be purchased at your feed store. I hope she is doing better soon! [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    It could be the start of a respiratory problem. Isolate her, just in case. Maybe electrolytes and vitamins in the water. Some cooked eggs for protein might help getting her to eat. Good luck.

4. smavfrace

smavfrace New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Her eye is perfectly clear and I've been putting the neosporin around the eye socket, not in it. Today it looked a little better, less swollen, and I saw her eating so that's good. My mom was home today so she looked at it; she used to be a vet technician. Her diagnosis was a bruised eye, possibly from one of the roosters who gets a little rough with the girls. I don't why she is acting so reclusive but maybe she's scared of the rooster... I don't know. But anyway, hopefully she gets more outgoing again soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by