eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spacechicks, Oct 12, 2013.

1. spacechicks

spacechicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    This is regarding my 9 mo. old silkie, Pepper. About 2 days ago we noticed that her eyes were not as open as usual. Upon closer examination it seems that the skin around her eyes and extending to her beak is peeling. She seems to be acting okay. She has been broody lately, but she does this rather often. She has lost weight, but she usually does when she goes broody, so it could be unrelated. Both her eyes are still open and she can see. Any idea what this is? I don't notice it in any of my other 5 chickens.

Probably unrelated, about a month ago Pepper plucked many of the feathers from her chest. We realized that an egg had broken in the nest box and she had become covered in it making her feathers hard and stuck together. We washed the dried egg off the rest of her feathers and the plucking stopped.

I'd rather not use any medicines on her but would consider it if this is a known disease. I'm thinking about maybe just trying to wash her face a bit with a warm wet towel? I don't want to make it worse if it's a fungus though. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is possible that she has favus a fungal infection, but the picture is hard to see, plus silky skin being black it is hard to see gray patches. She also may be suffering from a vitamin deficiency. Treatment for favus is an antifungal cream such as Tinactin or Lotrimin. If you don't think it is favus, try putting on some vaseline or other good cream to the face, and start her on Poultry vitamins in the water. Favus is a fungus and is contagious, so use of gloves is recommended. Click on these links for info:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/528908/whats-the-best-treatment-for-favus
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Favus/Favus.html
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fav...wDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=655&dpr=1

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Also, since there has been a lot of fowl pox going around with mosquitoes everywhere, you might post another close-up of her face in daylight. Fowl pox seems to look a bit different on silkies. We wouldn't want to miss something. Wet fowl pox can affect the eyes and mucus membranes of the throat causing respiratory problems. Looking inside the beak for yellow patches shoulhttps://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-poxd be done. Click on this link:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. spacechicks

spacechicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Here is another picture. My camera is kinda dirty it seems, but hopefully this is clearer. I looked at the links you posted and I really think it looks like favus. So I put some antifungal around her eyes this morning, trying carefully to not get to tooo close to her actual eyes. She is still acting normally. After looking at the links, I remembered about 2 mo ago when two of my other chickens had white spots on their combs. I think they must have had favus first and then Pepper probably got it from them. It's gone from their combs now. I feel pretty bad for her, her skin looks pretty scaly around her eyes. We gave her some extra treats today and will get her some vitamins tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't getting all the vitamins she needs while she is brooding, I never had considered it though. It doesn't really look like avian pox. Thanks for the tips!!

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are right. This picture looks more like favus. Let us know if the antifungal cream works.

6. spacechicks

spacechicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    It might be too soon to tell but it seems like her condition has gotten worse. In the morning she has a hard time opening her eyes because they seem almost glued shut. She can eventually open them and she seems fine after that. We have been feeding her separately to make sure she is eating. her poops are regular and look ok. I tried cleaning her eyes a few times in the morning with a wet towel and its hard to tell but it looks like her eyes may be a little oozy. it's hard to tell what is from the skin around her eyes and what is from in her eyes.

any ideas for a better way i can administer the medicine. It's hard to get a good coating of the antifungal because she is so squirmy and because i don't want to get it in her eyes. I feel really bad for her. is there something I can give her orally?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know if you could take her to your vet, but your hen could probably get an oral antifungal medication to help fight the favus. You also might try applying the antifungal cream with a Q-Tip or something small like that to avoid getting it in the eyes. Flushing the eyes with saline nasal spray (dropping it into the eye) might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by