1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye infection ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zsquared08, Oct 17, 2013.

1. zsquared08

zsquared08 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Hello ---, being that I am new to raising chickens and everything I have a question I really hope someone can help me out. Saturday I went out to tend to my chickens and my favorite little chicken (Angel) came out with her head turned the whole way over to the side so I immedialtey panicked and thought maybe something was wrong with her neck until I grabbed her and noticed her eye was shut and kind of crusty around it. She was scratching at it so I put some Neosporin on it and Sunday it looked better it was slightly opened now today she had it closed again and it looks a little bit worse, I have been putting Neosporin around it and it seemed to help for a few days but now I am worried. I was thinking about calling a vet but I don't know of any in my area that would specialize in farm animals or would be willing to take a look at her, plus I am really not in a financial state to have a vet make a house call. My mom was at my house today cleaning the coop and took her out and put her in her own pen/cage in our garage to keep her out of the dampness (since its rained for 4 days straight) and isolate her so the other ones so they don' pick on her in case it would make her worse. At this point I just don't know what next step to take with it ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Thank you so much !!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the eye is even slightly swollen with crysty drainage I would treat her for a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, and coryza. Tylan 50 injectable, Tylan soluable powder, or Oxytetracycline in the water would be good to use. Some diseases are chronic and recovered chickens will be carriers. Here is some info on those diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. zsquared08

Sep 3, 2013
    Thanks so much for your response, where would I purchase the Tylan or Oxytetracycline ?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. zsquared08

Sep 3, 2013
    Okay I have ordered some terramycin but today she wont even stand up on her own and shes not really eating anything cause she hasnt pooped her eye does look a little better but she wont pick up her neck now when before I thought maybe it was cause she was favoring her eye ? All she wants to do is sleep. I think I may need to find a vet in my area that deals with chickens any other ideas of what it could be ?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is not eating or drinking, you may need to give her Tylan50 injections--it costs about $12-14, and you give a 1 ml shot in the breast once a day for 3-5 days. A vet would be a good idea, but many vets don't feel comfortable treating chickens.

7. zsquared08

Sep 3, 2013
    Okay, I have been researching Wry Neck too and she does have some of those symptoms .. I have Vitamin E capsules but I was not sure where to get the Selenium if maybe I should try that as well ?

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've successfully cured two of my birds that had a severe case of wry neck and here is what I used. Vitamin E capsules selenium I got at rite aide use very small amount selenium can be toxic but is very important for the absorbtion of the E vitamin. Vitamin B polyvisol liquid children's vitamin without iron. AndI also used predinsone. The predinson is not necessary for above treatment to work but I needed it in my case because I believed my silkies had water on the brain. Basically I used alan stanfords treatment plan. You can find doseing information on his web site brown egg blue egg .com. look up crook neck in his information area. He refers to silkies but treatment would work on all birds. His treatment saved my two girls. They were so bad they couldn't even walk. Now Thank God you would never know they had wry neck. Hope this helps you out.be patient it takes about a full month to heal completely from wry neck. Best wishes

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really think she may be starting to show signs of Mareks disease. Wry neck can be a symptom of that, a vitamin deficiency, or a head injury. Can she stand if you sit her up? Is her neck still droopy? How is her eye? Is it swollen or still have drainage? Here is a link for the Vitamin E with Selenium: http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Compl...s_li_ss_mfw?&linkCode=wey&tag=theeggbasket-20 and another link for wry neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

10. zsquared08

Sep 3, 2013
    Is that curable ? This morning before I came to work she was standing up. I took two pictures of her but I cant figure out how to post them on a reply to this thread. But her eye is slightly open now and a little bit glazed over , she hasnt been scratching at it like she was before, but is slightly swollen still just not completely swelled shut. Her neck is definitely still droopy she wont pick it up on her own. I ordered the Vitamin E with the link you sent me (thanks so much for that ) Its so hard to watch her suffer. I appreciate you helping me out with this I hope that I can help her so she doesn't get any worse
    Thank you Realsis for your link to the article/website very informative !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by