Eye Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Misticfarms, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Misticfarms

Misticfarms New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    We have been battling something with my chickens eye for over a month. I have tried several things with no avail. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Misticfarms

Misticfarms New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is the "good eye"

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Not much to go on but my guess is fowl typhoid.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are they having other respiratory symptoms--runny nose, sneeze/cough, eye bubbles or pus? Is there a bad smell that might indicate coryza? What have you treated them with so far? What other symptoms have you noticed--appetite, poops, etc. Here is a list of common diseases--look at coryza and mycoplasma G, but could be other: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. Misticfarms

Misticfarms New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    No smell. No other symptoms besides the eye. Oxytet orally and in the eye every three days for 5 doses. I tried the vet rx but there was no puss. Valbazen orally for two doses. Now i am using vetricyn oph. I believe the dominant hen peaked her eye. I have seperated her. We dont have vet for poultry in my area.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really think she has swelling in both eyes--the right eye is just at the inner area close to the beak. Why did you do the oxytet for just 3 days? I think you may be dealing with mycoplasma G, and oxytet is good for that. But I would get some Tylan injectable if you can give her shots. Dosage is 1/2 ml for up to 5 lb.into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. 1/4 ml for bantam, and 1 ml if over 5 lb. Use a 22-25 gauge needle.

7. Misticfarms

Misticfarms New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    I only did oxytet for three days because it didnt seem to help her much. I could learn how to inject poultry, i have goats, horses, & dogs. She is a bantam. I will check you tube. Thanks for your help.

8. Misticfarms

Misticfarms New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Eggcessive, what Tylan product? 50 or 200?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50--it contains 50 mg per ml/cc. Giver 1/4 ml/cc into the breast muscle daily for 3-5 days, and alternate sides each day. Some choose to give it under the skin in the back of the neck on small birds or when giving a large amount (half the dose in breast, half in back of neck.) Be sure to always pull back on the syringe before injecting, to make sure you are not in a blood vessel. Here is a link for giving injections into the muscle: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by