Eye Infection?

Misticfarms

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
We have been battling something with my chickens eye for over a month. I have tried several things with no avail.
[/IMG]

Are they having other respiratory symptoms--runny nose, sneeze/cough, eye bubbles or pus? Is there a bad smell that might indicate coryza? What have you treated them with so far? What other symptoms have you noticed--appetite, poops, etc. Here is a list of common diseases--look at coryza and mycoplasma G, but could be other: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
No smell. No other symptoms besides the eye. Oxytet orally and in the eye every three days for 5 doses. I tried the vet rx but there was no puss. Valbazen orally for two doses. Now i am using vetricyn oph. I believe the dominant hen peaked her eye. I have seperated her. We dont have vet for poultry in my area.

I really think she has swelling in both eyes--the right eye is just at the inner area close to the beak. Why did you do the oxytet for just 3 days? I think you may be dealing with mycoplasma G, and oxytet is good for that. But I would get some Tylan injectable if you can give her shots. Dosage is 1/2 ml for up to 5 lb.into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. 1/4 ml for bantam, and 1 ml if over 5 lb. Use a 22-25 gauge needle.

I only did oxytet for three days because it didnt seem to help her much. I could learn how to inject poultry, i have goats, horses, & dogs. She is a bantam. I will check you tube. Thanks for your help.

Eggcessive, what Tylan product? 50 or 200?
Tylan 50--it contains 50 mg per ml/cc. Giver 1/4 ml/cc into the breast muscle daily for 3-5 days, and alternate sides each day. Some choose to give it under the skin in the back of the neck on small birds or when giving a large amount (half the dose in breast, half in back of neck.) Be sure to always pull back on the syringe before injecting, to make sure you are not in a blood vessel. Here is a link for giving injections into the muscle: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom