1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lsuchey, Aug 29, 2014.

1. lsuchey

lsuchey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2013
    Santee, Ca
    Help please! I've been a chicken mom for a little over a year and have had nothing but fun raising my girls. Just noticed one of my chickens has a bad eye picture is attached. I sent a pic of the other eye for reference. She just finished molting and I noticed the other girls seem to pick on her. Looking at previous threads and info it looks like she might have dry fowl pox. Any idea what's going on with her and how do I get her fixed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    take her to the vet that is what i tell everyone i also think you should separate her from the flock so they dont peck her eye (that could have started it) you can also see if she is suffering

good luck [​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    From the circular patches it does look as though it could be pox. It just has to run its course. You can put some ointment around her eye or even Vaseline to keep it from getting hard. Al least its open so you should not have to worry about her getting too much pressure built up in it. Mostly just keep an eye out for any secondary infection setting in. Some folks put iodine on pox lesions but I don't know that I would do that near the eye.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X 2. I would use an antibiotic ointment in the eye after cleaning it. Sometimes they can get pox lesions into the throat causing a sore mouth or even blocking the airway. Here is a link to read about pox: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

5. lsuchey

lsuchey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2013
    Santee, Ca
    You have all been so helpful, thank you. It's great to have you all here for support and help. Being a SoCal girl I was never exposed to the joy of backyard chickens, but boy do I love it. Guess it must be my family's Iowa roots coming out. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by