Eye infection...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carrilyn, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Carrilyn

Carrilyn New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    I have a 7 month old Aracana that I noticed was keeping her right eye closed. I blew it off for a couple of days thinking she poked it, but just started putting antibiotic ointment on it 4 days ago. The eye is looking clearer and she isn't holding it closed anymore, but she seems to have trouble seeing and is cocking her head to keep the healthy eye down. She seems to be eating and drinking ok, but isn't leaving the nest box much. No swelling around the eye. Any ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If she cocks her head, with the good eye looking down, then she's looking at the ground. I suspect the injured eye may feel better, but it's not seeing well. So she cocks her head to look at things with the good eye. (That is, if I understand what you wrote....I hope I didn't take it wrong.)

If you ever notice a hen scratching outside, they scratch and look, scratch and look. When they look they do turn their heads and look with one eye. Maybe she's just got to get used to seeing with one eye, so she's staying close to home until then.

That is my guess......:)

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chickens cock their heads/right eye toward the ground to forage close up. They cock their heads left/up towards the sky to look for predators.

4. Carrilyn

Carrilyn New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    I am hoping that is all it is, her lack of activity bothers me. I did take her ot of the coop yesterday and she is walking fine, but rather than forage with her sisters she just headed back into the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by