eye infections/maybe respiratory too?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by minicows13, Aug 15, 2008.

1. minicows13

minicows13 New Egg

Jun 15, 2008
    Florida
    hey so i have a three year old white silkie bantam. about a week ago he came up with a simple eye infection. I took him and seperated him from the rest of the flock and treated him with terrramycin for the eyes twice a day. as well as putting terramycin in his water. well a few days later no improvement and the eye infection had then spread to both eyes with no signs of stopping. its no longer just an infection, its started to pus and now its all over his feathers. along with this his general eye area is swollen

Snow has a quirk about not being picked up around the belly area/wing area. only by the feet. but he would still premit it but struggle every step of the way.. almost as if he was being strangled. well now it has gotten to the point where the only way u can pick him up is by the feet..holding him on the hand. if not a watery substance comes out of his beak. seen it before but it seems quite painful for him and i dont know what else to do.

on top of the eye infections he has a heavy breathing that seems to take place near the beak area instead of seen by the belly area. he wont drink unless shown and same with eating. after being picked up sounds come from out of his beak.. kinda queasy? i dont know how to put it. its just odd.

now terramycin is in the water along with some sugar to boost his energy levels and also vet rx in the water. terramycin 2x a day for the eyes. ive also tried to boost his protien by putting an egg in his feed. he is eating a mixture of scratch and layer. also his excretion is loose but not looking too bad.

ive tried to explain all of the symptoms as best as i can. I was hoping someone could tell me if they have had this same experience and what everyone has tried. ill do almost anything to get him back on track.

thanxx so much

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I've never had that problem. But I have some suggestions..

I wouldn't mix the terramycin with the VetRx.
    You could swab his nostrils with a q-tip soaked in VetRx.

I would stop the sugar water. Vitamins/Electrolytes would be better.

Are you washing your hands really well after working with the bird? (My niece had an eye infection that spread because she wasn't washing her hand after applying the ointment the doctor gave her before touching her other eye.)

I know all antibiotics like terramycin takes some time to work. Hopefully, someone with some experience at this will chime in. Good luck!

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You need to get him on some strong antibiotics asap. something like Tylan- 200, tylan-50 or LS-50. it sounds like CRD and those are the sinuses draining. One of the three should be at your local feed store.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    try used coffie grounds for the eyes, take the used coffie grounds cooled of course, sqeeze the juice over the eyes a few times a day, this really works, my husband uses it on chickens- roo, ive used it on my cat about 3 days later her eye was back to normal, my neice also used it on her baby boy he had pink eye it was gone the next morning. i know it sounds funny but it works for the eye,:|

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    get some Tylan 50..both for the sinus flush and for injection to treat respiratory illness..

here are instructions for flushing the sinuses, and treating eyes:

Instructions for treating foaming or bubbling eye and infected sinuses:

from Peter Brown of First State Vet Supply:

I have seen this many times before. The underlying causes are many. Things such as E.coli, Pseudomonas,Coryza, Bronchitis,etc.

I would Nasal Flush the bird using Oxine or Tylan 50 with sterile water. I would then apply either eye drops or eye ointment to the eye several times daily.

DIRECTIONS FOR TREATING SINUSITIS WITH SWOLLEN EYES

NASAL FLUSH USING TYLAN 50 OR LA-200

USING 12 CC’S OF STERILE WATER ADD 2 CC OF TYLAN 50 OR 1 CC OF LA-200 AND THEN FLUSH EACH NOSTRIL( USING A SYRINGE WITH THE NEEDLE REMOVED ) WITH 3 TO 4 CC’S TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS. THE BIRDS HEAD SHOULD BE HELD DOWN SO AS NOT TO SWALLOW TO MUCH OF THE TYLAN SOLUTION.

FOLLOW THE FLUSHING WITH VET-RX SQUIRTED LIBERALLY INTO EACH NOSTRIL. DO THIS AFTER EACH FLUSHING.

USING THE EYE OINTMENTS IS A CRITICAL PART OF GETTING THE SWELLING TO GO DOWN. USE THE EYE OINTMENT EVERY 2 TO 3 HOURS DURING THE DAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. YOU SHOULD USE IT AT LEAST TWICE PER DAY. START IN ONE CORNER OF THE EYE AND LAY DOWN A SMALL STRIP OF THE EYE OINTMENT FROM ONE CORNER OF THE EYE TO THE OTHER CORNER OF THE EYE.

IT MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL TO FLUSH THE EYE ONCE PER DAY WITH AN OVER THE COUNTER HUMAN EYE WASH THAT IS BORIC ACID BASED AND THEN PROCEED WITH THE NASAL FLUSHING AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. THE EYE WASHES ARE READILY AVAILABLE IN ALL DRUG STORES.

IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE MORE POWERFUL ANTIBIOTICS TO CURE THIS SWOLLEN EYE PROBLEM. IF YOU ARE NOT MAKING PROGRESS , PLEASE CALL ME SO THAT WE MAY DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE ANY NECESSARY CHANGES.

TYLAN 50 OR LA-200 - 2 TO 3 DROPS DIRECTLY INTO THE EYE TWICE A DAY FOLLOWED BY THE EYE OINTMENT TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

CILOXAN EYE DROPS GIVEN AT THE RATE OF 2 TO 3 DROPS IN THE AFFECTED EYE 2 TO 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

Ciprofloxacin Eye drops or Chloramphenicol Eye Ointment available in the online store on this site.

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Terramycin and other tetracycline antibiotics can work well for Mycoplasma, but not very effective in many other respiratory diseases. What you have determined is that he probably does not have Mycoplasma...

I do not like the coffee ground extract in the eye suggestion without knowing what is actually in the liquid. Sounds fairly acidic (which is not a bad thing, but I have not heard about this home remedy before).

Another antibiotic choice- both in the eye and systemic might help him, as well as the flushing described in another post. If this spreads to others in the flock- be prepared to get someone tested if you want to know for sure what you are dealing with.
    Good luck, Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by