Eye injury....Anything more that I can do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mpcardona, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I have had my first small flock for about a month. I noticed my other chickens( 2 australorp and 1 welsummer), beating up on my smallest Welsummer. She is about five months old and I have had her in the house in a dog crate. She has been in the house for about four days now. She has been eating lay crumble, scratch, and antibiotics in the water. I have been cleaning her eye about three to four times a day and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Her eye is swollen and leaking for the most part a cloudy to clear liquid. She has been drinking and eating well. Once in a while she opens it for about an hour and so far today she has just been sleeping. I have only been cleaning her eye with warm water and a rag. Is there anything else that I can do. I don't want her to die because of my lack of knowledge. Please help!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you purchase terramycin eye ointment and put it in her eye to prevent/treat bacterial infection. Your feedstore should carry it.
    [​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I agree - eye ointment. My polish hen had the same issues. Not sure if it was from being pecked, or from something getting in her eye and irritating it, but it was pretty bad for a while. The ointment cleared up the infection smell and she started to recover. It's still a little droopy, but she can see out of it again. It's been quite a while and I still occasionally put some more ointment on it.

4. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Thank you dawg53. I am on it. Going to town now. Thanks again and thank you ao!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I finally got a good look at her eye and it doesn't look good at all. Her left eye is off set. Her pupil is pretty much in the far corner of her eye and it's not as bright brown as her good eye. I think she will loose her sight in that eye. I feel horrible.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Definitely sounds like an injury, probably from getting pecked. If she is eating and drinking normal, you could keep her but keep in mind you will have to keep her seperated or the others will severely injure or kill her. Nature's way of survival of the fittest. It'll be extra work on your part if you decide to keep her. Your other option is to cull.

7. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I had a feeling. Thanks dawg for the honesty. I think I might try to find someone who would like to take her. Can't stand the thought of her being alone or the other chickens messing with her anymore. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by