1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye Injury from Dog encounter Eyes swollen shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ABHanna4d, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ABHanna4d

ABHanna4d Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Wichita
    On saturday (3 days ago now) one of my chickens had a brief encounter with my dog. We have been keeping them seperate but our dog got in with the chickens for a moment alone. He was very curious and didnt hurt any of them (so we thought) he had one girl pinned down and was pulling out some feathers...and terrified her!!
    We did a full look over of her and she had no signs of bleeding or any injuries other than loss of a few feathers around her neck and right above her right eye.
    This morning when I went out to let them out of thier coop and run around the yard, she couldnt find her way out of the coop and I realized that both of her eyes were swollen shut. I sad out there with her for a little bit and tried to help her find her way out of the coop. I came in to get my camera to get some pictures to post and she kept running into our wood fence along the side of the yard. I got her calmed down and took a couple pictures and sat with her a little while longer. While I sat with her one eye started to open a little but not much more than a sliver. It has been a couple hours now and not much more progress.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO!!?? Is there anything I can do or do I just need to let her work through it. Will it go away?
    Are eye injuries common for chickens?
    She is a little freaked out and wont really let me pick her up so I think it would be hard to treat her but let me know what I need to do!?
    We have a small dog/cat crate that I could put her in if she needs some time alone, but is that really necessary? Im also concerned to bring her inside for any length of time because it is getting cold and I dont want her to get used to the warmth of the house and have to go back outside in the 30degree temps.

Ive attached a few pictures.

[​IMG]

this next picture is after it opened a sliver
    [​IMG]

2. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I have a Buff Orp who looks EXACTLY the same as your chicken. 2 standard size chihuahuas got ahold of her about a week and a half ago. I don't know if her eyes were swollen shut or she was keeping them shut but now one stays open all the time and the other is closed most of the time. The one that is closed all the time is glazed over now too. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. Sorry about your girl!!

3. ABHanna4d

Sep 19, 2009
    Wichita
    One of the eyes on this girl have finally opened (opposite eye from the one shown opening in this picture). But the left eye is showing slight signs of starting to open. The weather has been cold and rainy here for several days so today finally the girls are able to run around and play in the sun. I think the sun is helping because the eye seems to be oosing now instead of just being hard and crusted over and shut. Hopefully by the end of hte day her eyes will be better with a full day of sunlight.

Could this spread to the rest of the flock?

4. ABHanna4d

Sep 19, 2009
    Wichita
    Quote:Hows your girls doing???

5. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I've had to separate them as my uninjured chicken has started pecking the injured one around the eye area. It's kind of a pain but hopefully she will heal up soon and I can put them both out there. I don't know if my buff orp will be able to see out of that eye or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by