Eye injury, infection, and treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waitetr, Jul 14, 2018.

1. waitetr

waitetr Hatching

Jul 14, 2018
    Early this week we noticed on our our birds keeping one eye closed. We initially thought it might be debris or an eye injury and rinsed her eye each day with a saline eye wash. We then noticed it started to swell and develop a white covering that looks like pus to me. She is a bit lethargic but still has energy, is eating and drinking just not as much as normal. Not scratching much at the eye that we see.

Took her to a vet who seems to think it was an eye injury. After a very quick exam and brief look in the eye she said the bird will likely lose the eye and gave us an antibiotic and a probiotic. The bird is in quarantine now but we're having some trouble getting the antibiotic in her and the vet didn't have many suggestions.

We tried treats like fresh fruit (strawberries from our garden) but that has been hit/miss. We then tried directly in the mouth per the vets advice and that was very tough. I have experience with large animals e.g. sheep/steers but birds are new to me. Any advice on best way to treat this and get her the needed antibiotics?

Attached a pic of the bird after we rinsed the eye. IMG_20180713_220941143.jpg IMG_20180713_220948212.jpg

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    What antibiotic are you using? Liquid?
    I just use an oral syringe, hold the bird firmly, wrap in a towel to keep the wings in if necessary. If you have a helper, one hold the bird, one administer the meds. Just pull down gently on the wattles (I realize hers are small but should still work) and the beak will open. Drop the meds into the front of the lower beak and let go of the wattles and let her swallow. Depending on how much you are giving, do no more than .5cc at a time so she doesn't aspirate, and repeat until the dose is given. I would also be inclined to use something like this in the eye, you may want to ask your vet: https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product...kVrshAEhsMkvdYc-XVC85RkjwcYW0xV4aAoVIEALw_wcB
    You also need to remove any pus, carefully, then flush the eye. Sometimes just gentle manipulation and bit of squeezing will get it out. I can post a video of someone doing it if you want, or you can search (some may find it gross). She may lose the eye, but you need to get the infection taken care of.

3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    What antibiotic are you using? Liquid?
    I just use an oral syringe, hold the bird firmly, wrap in a towel to keep the wings in if necessary. If you have a helper, one hold the bird, one administer the meds. Just pull down gently on the wattles (I realize hers are small but should still work) and the beak will open. Drop the meds into the front of the lower beak and let go of the wattles and let her swallow. Depending on how much you are giving, do no more than .5cc at a time so she doesn't aspirate, and repeat until the dose is given. I would also be inclined to use something like this in the eye, you may want to ask your vet: https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product...kVrshAEhsMkvdYc-XVC85RkjwcYW0xV4aAoVIEALw_wcB
    You also need to remove any pus, carefully, then flush the eye. Sometimes just gentle manipulation and bit of squeezing will get it out. I can post a video of someone doing it if you want, or you can search (some may find it gross). She may lose the eye, but you need to get the infection taken care of.

4. waitetr

waitetr Hatching

Jul 14, 2018
    Yea its a liquid antibiotic and your advice on the wattles was very helpful. I found I can firmly stroke the wattles/upper neck to get the mouth open for my wife to get the syringe in and administer. Also giving us a guide of .5cc was good as we were concerned with asipration

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Were you able to get the pus out of her eye?

coach723 likes this.
  6. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    I agree that you need to get the pus out as she can loose the other eye too if you guys aren't careful

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Glad you were able to get the medication administered, and hope she recovers. As others asked, were you able to remove the pus? Since chicken pus is so thick/firm it's necessary to remove it, it won't clear itself.

8. waitetr

waitetr Hatching

Jul 14, 2018
    The vet called to follow up and said she would expect it to go away with the antibiotics. Regardless of that I've tried twice to get it out but can't seem to dislodge it. We rinsed with a saline solution first in hopes of loosening it and then I've tried working it out with my thumb/index finger but it doesn't seem to move. It doesn't help that it is extremely difficult to hold the hen still enough long enough to work it out since they have such a stretchy/flexible neck. I'm also trying not to jam my finger in her eye.

I've looked at a couple videos but still can't seem to get the right technique. Any advice on this would be good. Should i try using a tool? I have some small stainless steel scrapers typically used for ears that can be sterilized would that be advisable?

9. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I don't know if these will help you....I do think it needs to come out in order to have a chance at getting the infection cleared, and obviously you need to be careful to try not to damage the eye. Sometimes if you can get one part lifted/started, it will all come loose and out. You may be able to work an edge loose with a cotton swab. I know it may be hard to watch, removing bumblefoot is similar, albeit without the eyeball to worry about.

Doctor Pammie, PennyM and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: