Eye injury? or infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renovationmom, Apr 4, 2011.

1. renovationmom

renovationmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    I just purchased 5 mature hens. One hen I noticied after about 2 weeks, had one eye closed. She is eating and drinking, and active. She has no drainage from the eye or beak. I thought she may have injured her eye somehow. Now, another of the hens has the same thing, in one eye. Also, one of my own hatched, 5 week olds chicks appears to have the same problem, and she has been housed in a seperate area from the chickens, and I make sure to wash my hands when going from one coop to the next.

Can anyone tell me if this is the early stages of something serious, will it spread, and if I choose to treat it, (or Cull) can I risk leaving the infected with the rest of the flock? I have no way of seperating them at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I don't know the answer to your questions but I, too, have a rooster and a hen that have one eye shut. Both are still acting perfectly normal though. I'll be following your post to see if anyone answers! Good luck!

3. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Bump

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are several possibilities: They have accidently scratched their eye, in which case I'd recommend saline flush and then apply terramycin antibiotic eye ointment in the eye. Another possibility is ocular marek's disease...you can google it and read up on it. The final possibility and I suspect that this might be the problem more so than the others...eyeworm. Do a search of "eyeworm" in the BYC search box. There is plenty of info about it.

5. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Thank you for the advice, dawg53. I checked out marek's disease and eyeworm, and neither seem to apply. I would have thought it to be an injury, but now a third of the new 5 hens has it. What does seem to be the case, is the very early stages of an upper respiratory infection. The stress do to moving, has lowered the hens immunity, and the one chick-could be a sign of a weak chick.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:This is why I suspected eyeworm because it's contageous. You never mentioned any other symptoms in your first post about any respiratory symptoms. Did you inspect them for lice/mites? Is there any discharge from their ear? Try putting each chicken up against your ear and listen for any gurgling, rattling or wheezing....any noises other than normal breathing and gut digestion is a sign that something is amiss. If it sounds clear, and there are no other outward signs as you mentioned; no runny eyes/nostrils, no sneezing /coughing/gaping, no ear drainage...you can pretty much rule out a respiratory problem. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Still no other symptoms. When I open the eyelid, the eye looks normal, no swelling, color change, redness, discharge or lumps. One thing I can say for sure, whatever it is, it is contagious, still in its early stages and I do not want to risk my healthy flock, so I am choosing to cull(I know some will say I am cruel and heartless, but I do not see paying a vet the price of 10 more chickens to diagnose and treat 1, the cost of meds, the time to treat the infected) as I have no means of isolation and can not tell at this point what t is(until other symtoms show up, and it manifests into something I would rather not see from the pictures I looked at) so I know how to proceed in treating it. I dust my coop with DE,there is not problem with lice, flies, moisture or internal worms. [​IMG]

8. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    Not trying to be negative, but even culling at this point may not take care of the problem. If it's something contagious, all of your chickens have been exposed to it already. It might be worth researching a bit more so you can pinpoint what it might be. I had a hen that had this same problem that luckily was already separated from the other birds due to another problem. It turned out she had mites, which took quite a while to eradicate. Then I kept putting VetRX on the eye and after a few weeks it finally opened back up. I hope you figure out what the problem is.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Is there a foul smelling odor around their head/nostril area? If so, it might be coryza and I'd cull immediately.

10. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    I will have to have someone check for the foul smell, I have bad pollen allergies, I could not even smell a skunk if it sprayed me. As far as mites, I will have to look into this, I know the food grade DE I use gets rid of flies, lice, dries the poop up, elimates odor and when sprinkled over their feed, takes care of internal worms. My chickens take a dust bath in it also. I do not know if it prevents mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by