Eye injury or ocular mareks?

lmikulski

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Ferndale, MI
My Coop
My Coop
Is there any way to determine if an eye is injured vs has ocular mareks based on the pupil? I rescued this hen from an industrial area and noticed her weird eye- she's in quarantine, so low risk to my established unvaccinated flock. Normal eye on the right side
normal chicken eye.jpg
chicken eye injury or ocular mareks.jpg
, blown out pupil on the left side.

Looks like ocular Marek’s to me. Does the pupil react to changes in light?

Symptoms of ocular Marek’s:
“Deformity of the pupil. The pupil may change shape. A typical form is a “keyhole” shape but the pupil may also look as if it is “melting” or might become amoeba-like in shape.”

Taken from this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/.

Chickens with ocular Marek’s can still be healthy and be able to see. A friend of mine has a hen who developed the classic shrunk pupil normally associated with ocular Marek’s. She has been alive and well for at least a year after developing it. She isn’t blind in that eye either.
E19F4498-B984-4878-A564-ADA0472F1A8F.jpeg

Looks like ocular Marek's to me too. They can be seemingly totally healthy and have Marek's. Having her in different pen is NOT good enough protection for your flock. The virus is spread by the feather dander, and you would have been spreading around on your clothing and shoes. As well as it would be blown around in the wind.

if your flock is vaccinated they will be fine, if not then they are most likely infected, but many have good immune system and may never develop symptoms. Sorry :( 😥

Back
Top Bottom