Eye injury or sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iTyrizzle, Nov 25, 2016.

1. iTyrizzle

iTyrizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    [​IMG]My pullet, Bunny,has something going on with her eye. I just noticed it today. She seems to be getting around fine with one eye. Is this an illness or an injury? I am a little stressed right now dealing with the red mite issue and now this. Ugh! What are your thouggts as far as treatment?[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost appears to be scabbed over. I would be tempted to apply some antibacterial ointment, let it set for 24 hours and then gently try to clean the area once things have softened up so that you can get a better look at the eye.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Sourland to clean the eye off and get it open to carefully look inside it for pus, a peck injury, or a foreign object such as dirt, a seed pod, or something else in there. Sometimes a warm wet compress held over the eye for a few minutes will get it to open. If you notice any nasal drainage, sneezing, or wheezing, then it could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Some, like MG or coryza can cause the eye swelling and gunk. Coryza is said to smell bad also.

4. iTyrizzle

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    Okie dok, thank you for the feedback. I shall investigate tomorrow morning.

5. iTyrizzle

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    Bishop's eye is fine now! I took your recommendation and applied a warm cloth to it to moisten the scab, and then I applied a triple antiobiotic ointment. Two days later, all better. The eyeball is completely exposed, free of any debris, as far as I can tell. The skin around her eye appears super moist, so I expect a full recovery soon. Nobody cock-eyed chicken walking around the backyard, lol.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by