Eye Injury ***PICS added***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cetawin, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay here are the infamous answers...

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BA, almost 20 weeks, healthy weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Fine..sweet as always

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. There is a small wound on her lower lid of her left eye. No bleeding, eye itself is clear but the corner of eye was a little teary and bubbly.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She and her sisters were recently introduced to the older girls and there was some minor pecking order disputes but everyone has been doing great. It looks like one of the other girls nipped her lid. The skin is barely broken.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She is eating fine and she eats an All-In-One and drinking fine

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poo appears fine

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I cleaned her eye with plain water and rinsed it well. I did not have an eye safe ointment handy so I just cleaned it up really well.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I am going to check her first thing in the morning and determine if she needs my interference. I will go to the pharmacy and get an eye wash to clean it better. If needed, I will call my vet for ointment.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will get a picture in the morning.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use They are in the new coop with pine shavings that were just cleaned

I know that if we get poked in the eye, our eye will water and so forth for awhile afterwards. I am just wondering if that is what is going on. Her eye itself is clear and there is no sign of injury aside from the very small wound on the lid (just below the eye). She is not favoring it or acting differently, it was just luck that I noticed it a little puffy. That went away after I rinsed her eye off.

I will get a pic in the morning and meanwhile, what are your thoughts and opinions?

Update: her eye was 100 times better this morning but I called the vet and he is doing surgeries all day but said to go to the pharmacy and get a baby eye wash and rinse her eye and the area really well. He said if it was not being picked on by the other girls, the eye itself not affected and she was acting fine, to keep it clean and give it a few days to heal. He did say he would see her tomorrow if I was still concerned. So I went to the pharmacy, came home and followed his instructions. I took Pics (sorry they are not the best but it was hard to hold her and take the picture without getting it a bit fuzzy). I did a good look at it this morning and it is a small peck wound but it is not deep at all and her eye is no longer tearing.

Before the wash:

[​IMG]

a couple hours after wash:

[​IMG]

I am really please with how it looks today. so...should I give her a day or two and keep it clean?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    up the humidity (set a set towel near) .... the vet you are taking her too will give your further instructions and eye products.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When she got the wound, especially if it was a beak, it probably got dirt in the eye and is irritating it. That's what I'd think if I saw that myself anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by