Eye injury/problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrskalka, Dec 11, 2016.

1. mrskalka

mrskalka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone, I found my lil girl (blacky) like this today. I am new to chickens and have no idea wht this is?? Could it be fowl pox or something? She is the smallest and all thethe other girl pick on her badly almost to the point she won't go into the coop.. I also just started putting hay in thier coop, could she be allergic??
    She is eating drinking, sratching and taking dust baths normally.
    What could it be and how do I treat?[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks more like pecking than fowl pox to me. Do you still have mosquitoes out now? How much room do you have in your coop for your chickens, and do they get out to range in the yard daily? Some reasons for pecking can be a lack of room, lack of protein in the diet, or boredom. Make sure they are getting at least 16-20 % protein layer or all flock feed. The more they get outside the better. Watch their behavior to see if she is being picked on by a particular bully, and separate the bully for up to a week.

3. mrskalka

mrskalka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    No masquitos out right now I'm pretty sure the freezes have got them. Thier coop is getting to small for them.That's my fault, poor things. I'm still working on thier big coop.it's so close to being done tho. My health isn't very good so it is taking longer than I expected. I bet thats the main thing going on. They have a very big run tho and lots of enrichment things. I have logs they can jump on , branch set up they can roost on, I also have bird toys that I put treats in and on they love them. Spoiled girls. I don't let them free range we have a really bad hawk,fox and stray dog problem plus I live next to a busy highway. They are on 18% grower. I was going to give them 20% since I have a mixed flock but I just dnt know if it was better.... they do get alfalfa wich is high in protein I also give them meal worms, peanut butter rolled in scratch on there toys. Plus i just put out a flock block.
    I do have 2 roos, which is very stressful 4 my girls, the hatchery I got them from made me order one plus my mystery chick ended up being a roo. My Ameraucana/EE roo is very very rough. Plus hes so much bigger than all the girls. They will be in the soup pot soon! I never wanted a rooster from the beggining. I was thinking the boys r a problem 2. I also plan on eating a few hens 2...

Thank u for your reply I appreciate it so much. She might be a house chicken for a lil while lol :) she is my favorite, she rides on my shoulder while I check my other animals and what's me to hold her all the time. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by