Eye injury? Treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misspnme, Aug 24, 2014.

1. misspnme

misspnme Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Hi, one of my girls showed up at the back door for dinner time with one of her eyes shut, looked like she might be holding it shut due to an injury. This was three days ago, no swelling or redness so I summed it up to being an injury and hoping it would heal itself. But three days later and she's still holding it shut. It's not goopy or runny, still no swelling. She just holds it shut, some times she'll have it opened but majority it's shut. Would an injury take this long to heal or should I be looking into a possible sickness? There aren't really any other symptoms, eating fine, still laying, no loss of energy....[​IMG]

2. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

What does the eye itself look like ?
    Has she been pecked do you think ?

I would clean it and then use eye drops like the ones with chloramphenicol in them. I had a sablepoot with a pecked eye and over time this worked. It took about 8 weeks or more but it was terribly bad.

I understand that they can have all sorts of other issues including worms which I don't know a lot about, so I hope someone else might be able to give you some info on that too.

Hope she goes on ok x

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it were eyeworm, she would be scratching her eye continuosly. There could possibly be debris in her eye. Liberally flush her eye with saline solution, then add a small dab of terramycin eye ointment in her eye or neosporin ointment as needed until healed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. misspnme

misspnme Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Thanks you guys! I'll pick up some saline and ointment today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by