Eye injury

Hawaii Chicks

Chirping
Dec 13, 2018
image.jpg
Hello there!
This is my hen, Reginda.
I found her by the highway some months ago.
Here in the islands we have a pretty big population of feral chickens, but when I saw her I knew she was not a feral hen. She was sleeping on a fence at around 3 feet from the cars.
I knew something wasn’t fine and even it was around 2 am I decided to stop and take her with me.
Yesterday I decided to let her out of the coop so she could enjoy the yard . When she was out, the flock of feral chickens came by, as they usually do. This time, instead of trying to get in the coop, she went away and stayed out (don’t know where ) overnight. I looked for her but couldn’t find her. This morning she came back with the flock with an injured eye .
I already cleaned the eye with sterile saline solution and dissolved some aspirins in her water. The only medicine I could find at the feed store was the powder in the pic. It is also in her water
Those pics are of this afternoon, early in the morning her eye was worst, I even though she had lost it.
Do you have any advices to treat her ?
Thanks!
9AFDFE88-9BD6-4AB9-96BA-A92A08D3D486.jpeg 4F5F4D9E-E844-41CC-94EF-649D718A689C.jpeg 531D68FA-FC78-42C8-B2B9-0FEE1106E276.jpeg

It looks like she got a dose of the pecking order when spent the night with the feral chickens. In other words, she got pecked in the eye.
I would continue with the medication that you're giving her. It contains amoxicillin which will treat bacterial infections as well as the tylan. You could put neosporin ointment in her eye if you wish, just a little twice daily. It will melt in the eye to help fight off infection.
This injury will take time to heal. So give time for the antibiotics to do their job and heal your hen. Keep up the good work you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom