Eye Injury?

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
Last night when I was locking up the chickens I, as usual, have to pick up my Polish Roo(i think its a roo) and put him inside or up on a roost. When I did, I noticed a smell of infection and looked him over. One of his eyes looked nasty and Im not sure if its been pecked or its MG, since Ive had a problem with MG recently. The other eye looks normal, no bubbles, and no swelling around the face or discharge from the nose.
I cleaned it up with peroxide on cotton balls, cause thats all I have, and he can open it now. Last night it wasnt shut but it was this morning. I cut his/her topnot back so it can see and to keep the feathers out of the way.
Is there anything I can do for his/her eye? He/she is isolated away from the others and is eating and drinking fine.

20190915_082448.jpg

20190915_082442.jpg

When you say “as usual, I have to pick up my polish Roo and put him inside or on the roost.” What do you mean by you having to put him in? Just curious.

How long has his eye been like that?

Can you post a picture of the other eye?

I am not very good at this kind of stuff, but I bet these people will come along and help him.
@Eggcessive @casportpony @Wyorp Rock

Hi, I have a 3 month old Silkie chicken that out of the blue, has one eye shut(has opened it twice) and her head is curled under her body and she is either laying like that or pecking at her skin. I checked her body and there are no lacerations. She can keep her neck up, but its mostly pointed down. She is not steady on her feet. Not sure how she could have injured her neck, she was in a plastic tote with 4 other younger chicks...I have fed her starter feed by hand mixed with a bit of yogurt and banana, water with a little sugar to try and give her some energy..I have never encountered this problem in the last 8 years raising chickens. Any ideas??? Could it be neurological out of the blue like that?? Stumped....thanks...
Having a bad odor, there is infection - if you have MG in your flock likely this is the cause, but the odor is concerning, it could also be an accompaniment of Infectious Coryza which is also fairly common and is sometimes seen together with MG.
If you have vet care or can get some testing that would be good so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

MG and Infectious Coryza both make birds carriers for life, even when recovered, birds may continue to relapse and it can spread to others even when asymptomatic.

Don't use Peroxide to flush the eye - use saline instead - if you don't have any, make your own. The recipe is 1 teaspoon to 1 quart of water - boil for 15 minutes to make it sterile. Let cool, then use. You can store extra in a sterilized jar for up to 24hrs then throw out and make new.
Flush out the eye really well, press out any pus/gunk/bubbles and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin or some use plain neosporin. An antibiotic like Tylan50 can be use to treat symptoms of MG, but it is not a cure. If you are dealing with secondary disease like Infectious Coryza as well, then a sulfa drug will likely be needed in conjunction with the Tylan.

In the photo below, it looks like there is pus that came out of the eye? I would also take a look inside the beak to make sure there's no mucous or yellow/white patches inside the roof of the beak, on tongue, sides of beak, etc.

upload_2019-9-15_11-45-11.png

A peck or scratching injury might smell bad as well, since E.coli bacteria is everywhere in a chicken coop. You could get some testing done through your vet to see what bacteria is in the eye, whether or not it is MG, coryza, or what. You may also call your state vet office and ask about how to get tested. A national lab (Zoologix) does a respiratory disease panel for $95 where you collect 3 swabs from the sick chicken. But your state vet would be much less.

Tractor Supply and many feed stores carry Terramycin eye ointment, but you have to ask for the tiny tubes which are locked up. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment is what I used on my Polish hen when she had her eye pecked and injured. Use either of those twice a day after cleaning the gunk or drainage from her eye.

Awww poor guy:hit Is he your only polish? If he is, the problem may be caused by pecking since he looks different. If there are other polishes, then I'm not sure what the infection is. I'm not great at this kind of stuff.

polish can be tricky if they are in a flock of non crested birds, the non crested will peck at his crest and sometimes get an eye, also looks like his own crest feathers could have poked it. That being said I would consider maybe trimming his crest a little and checking him all over fore mites/lice then getting a good picture of the eye , flush it with saline eye wash and apply some terramicyn(sp) and apply that 2-3 times a day. If there is pus it is going to be hard but you will have to remove it and that I am not good at so tagging some one with better knowledge.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

Awww poor guy:hit Is he your only polish? If he is, the problem may be caused by pecking since he looks different. If there are other polishes, then I'm not sure what the infection is. I'm not great at this kind of stuff.
No, I have a blue white topnot Polish too I got in the suprise box and he is definetly a roo (crowing, red wattles). He did get picked on by having the top of his head feathers pulled out but I put blukote on it and he has healed up. Feathers arent back yet and its been several months so he has a bald spot.
This buff Polish has always seemed a little more submissive so its one Im a little more protective of.
I had been trying to check everyone to monitor if anyone else was showing symptoms if the recent outbreak I had, but other than an occassional sneeze all seemed ok. So missing this makes me feel Im not monitoring as well as I thought.

Back
Top Bottom