Jasmine1998

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Montgomery County
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Bob - 11 week old Dark Brahma Roo

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
His right eye has been swollen for 3 days. The eye itself is a little watery, no discharge. Whole side of his face is swollen, the worst around the back top part of eye.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Wednesday night I think it happened.....we have one hen who is just hormonal (I am being nice). I think she tried to peck him in the eye since you can see a little nic at the corner of his eye & then a small red mark just above it. Looks like the same kind of mark as when she bit me.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Hormonal chick bit him at the corner of his eye

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
He is acting normal other wise. His vision does not seem to be affected.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None, I wanted to wait a few days to see if the swelling went down on its own.

Need advice here. My husband is does not want to take him to the vet & wants to wait it out a few more days. I am worried because it has not gotten any better in 3 days. How much longer would you wait? Any suggestions as to self treating this?

I would try to clean it out with a saline solution on a q tip. Try to see if there is something in it Sometimes they get food in their eyes that can cause infection. I use terramycin on my chickens eyes but that is expensive around 16.00 a tiny tube You could also try neosporin on the eye. Main thing is to wash it out as best you can When my cochin had this I washed it out several times a day. I fianlly started getting a cheesey substance out of his eye and the swelling went down.

When I got home from work the swelling was much worse, so Bob went to the vet. I think he feels special because they called him exotic.....which to me just means big expensive vet bill. Anyway, he did have an infection from what looks like a bite, they said it may have been a spider bite. He has some anti biotic eye medicine now & he is looking much better. Although he is not too fond of eye drops.

Back
Top Bottom