1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    One of my hens has one eye closed and it looks swollen. I flushed it with some saline solution and it does not appear infected but I have no idea if her eye was pecked or she poked it with a branch or from a bug bite or sting.

I am keeping my eye on her. She is fine otherwise and enjoyed the attention.
    Any other suggestions?
    Caroline

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The best thing you can do right now is just monitor her like you're doing. Maybe the swelling will go down on it's own given some time.

3. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sorry for not having this sooner:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    : Silver Laced Wyandotte, hatched 7/2009 about 6lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    : Swollen Eye which is closed. Tissue around her eye is swollen, Her neck is swollen just under her beak. Opposite ear lobe is swollen

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    : 8/26/2010 AM was when I first saw it as I let her out of the coop.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    : None, I looked her over pretty well.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    : She was out the day prior in our woods free ranging. But was fine when I locked her down that night. I am thinking it could be a sting or poked eye?

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    : Water and Layena Crumbles plus free ranging eating bugs and grasses

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.:
    Normal and Dark Green

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I flushed the eye with saline twice and kept an eye on her. She is acting normal with the exception of the popeye face

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I want to help her myself

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Yes I will

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use:
    In the coop the girls have alfalfa hay which I had just changed Wednesday.

Caroline

4. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The saline rinse may be helping or just time. Not sure which. There is a spot above her eye that might be where she was stung or bitten. I think it is some kind of bug bite. She is still swollen - eye a little less so - no puss. Her neck just under her beak is still swollen and her right earlobe
    Just an update - any suggestions would be helpful
    Caroline

5. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    What you're describing happened to my rooster...and I tried saline solution rinse and some neosporin ointment. When it hadn't cleared up after 2 days I ordered some of that "1 drop, 1 time" eye medicine for poultry, and put it in his eye. The next day, whatever it was, it seemed better. I don't know if it was the medication or the multiple saline & neosporin ointment that really did it or if it was this stuff...but he looks fine now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. MotuRata

MotuRata New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    well one of my families chickens was hit by a car and we thought it died and then my mum found it by the letter box and now it has either 1 eye or none and we dont know what to do can some one please help us?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just saw this - one of my day olds seems to have been pecked in the eye and today I can see an infected area. I flushed it with saline and applied terramycin. If it doesn't clear up, I do have injectable Tylan 50 - I'd prefer not to inject a tiny silkie chick if I don't have to, but I believe I saw reference on here to just dropping the tylan 50 directly in the eye? Do I need to dilute it first?

8. MotuRata

MotuRata New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    hi again ppls my chicken is all right now it has 1 eye and the other one was the one where it exploded
    thx so much for a but of help love motu

9. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Just an update on "Dopey" The swelling is going down and she won't let me look closely but her eye is starting to open a little. I was not able to catch her yesterday to rinse her with saline but she seems on the mend. Still watching her closely in case of infection. Can I put neosporin on her eye?
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by