1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyD, Jun 7, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Gold Comet Roo age, 6 weeks today, weight, 1pound 9 ounces
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acting fine but keeping right eye closed scabbing around the eye and around the edge of the beak all the way to the ear flap on right side some scabbing on the left as well but not as bad eye is puffy and looks sore
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Just started as of today noticed it when I got home at 5pm from work
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?One other that has some scabbing around beak on each side but no problems with beak
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.No bleeding it has stopped but scabbed up injuries
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.Not sure he was fine when I left this morning but injured tonight when I got home.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.Purina start and grow available 24/7 large waterer changed every other day available 24/7
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Poop is normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?I cleaned the injuries with warm water but beyond that I have done nothing since it is close to the eye. I am worried about putting any medications there
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?Not sure if he needs to go to the vet but I need to figure out what is doing it to prevent it from getting worse
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Brand new coop built in May before we got the chicks There is a ladder roost and 5 nesting boxes with a roost in front of them. We built a full sized door and the chicks have access to a large run 20ft by 40 ft from 7am until usually around 8pm depending on weather. We use pine shavings on the flooring with a mat underneath to help with control of waste. Coop is stripped completely once a week on Saturday and cleaned as needed throughout the week. Chickens are all only 6 weeks old and were purchased together

I am not sure what caused the injury so any suggestions on that would be of great help. Also can I put anything around the eye to help it heal and keep the others from picking at him. He is the largest of all the chicks but not very aggressive so he could be getting pushed around by the others.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    See if you can get neo/poly/dex for the eye (don't use neosporin except in the areas away from the eye).

Poor baby - lots of TLC - looks like that is pretty uncomfortable (but very fixable).

JJ

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    where would I find neo poly dex? Do they carry it at farm supply stores?

4. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Its either ring worm or more likely- where other chickens hav pecked her. Cant giv mor help sorry.
    Horsefreak[​IMG]

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I was thinking feather picking but my question now is can I put no pick on the spots around his eye so that they don't pick at it more?

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Vets should have it. I believe I ordered on line from First State Vet Supply - the problem with that of course is that it takes time to receive by mail.......
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

Make sure she gets lots of good hydration and nutrients (Avia Charge 2000 or Rooster Booster in her water if you have - can order on line if you don't but again, takes time)

Can also put a drop or two of Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy - health food store) in her water - it's given to aid with trauma/stress.

JJ

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:?? Not sure what this is.

If there is any chance other birds are pecking at this one's injuries, must separate them until healed.

JJ

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am worried that it is feather picking that is causing this injury although they aren't over crowded and they are outside all day long. So I was wondering about anything that I can put there to prevent them from picking at it more. My husband also wondered if it wasn't the shavings irritating his eye so that he rubbed it and injured it that way.

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How is she???
    JJ

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That definitely looks like bruising to me from trauma or pecking. Since it is so close to the eye, I would maybe spray some BlueKote or Wound kote on my finger and dab it carefully around the eye not getting it to close since it contains alcohol. Blue food coloring would be a temporary fix until you get BlueKote. Then if you could dab a little neosporin sparingly kepping away from the eye. Looks as though he may need to be separated in a dog or cat cage a day or two if they still peck him. Poor baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by