1. country bumpkins

country bumpkins New Egg

Jan 7, 2011
    I have a bantam cochin rooster (10 months old) who had a milky type fluid in his eye. I left it be thinking he would work it out. Then next day he kept it closed. We opened his eye and sprayed water into it...hoping to flush it. I don't want to touch it & cause more damage...but a week later it is still swollen and lids kept closed at all times. He is eating and protecting his ladies just fine. Any suggestions?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have no way to know exactly what is going on with your rooster. I will let others with more experience with illness guide you on those possibilities. I do know that when my birds have had debris with infection, I have been able to clear it up with twice daily flushes. You can also dab Polysporin (not Neosporin) directly over the eyelid so some can get in. If it does not improve in a couple of days, you will need to find anothr treatment quickly. Eye damage can occur if the swelling is not reduced within a week or two.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you think it is actually injured? Could he have symptoms of a respiratory disease (many start with puffy eyes and drainage)? If injured I would use terramycin eye ointment from Tractor Supply or another farm store. Erythromycin ointment is the same if you have it, and neosporin can be used until you get some. My polish chicken got pecked by another, and I thought her eyeball was ruptured, but after a few days of treatment it looked fine. A clean warm wet washcloth soak can help remove some of the drainage before the ointment.

4. country bumpkins

country bumpkins New Egg

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks! I was afraid by messing with it, I would lodge it in more or make it worse...I guess this was the wrong idea. Oops.

5. country bumpkins

country bumpkins New Egg

Jan 7, 2011
    It doesn't look injured, he just keeps it closed and the area around it looks slightly swollen. (you have to look very closely to see it.) There appears to be a small ball shape under the upper lid. (smaller than a petite pea?) We'll keep washing it out I guess and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by