Eye Injury

flowermama22

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 29, 2012
Today my son found our Barnevelder laying on the ground with her eye swelled up. She was fine just 30 minutes before, so we aren't sure what has happened to her. Cocoa is a pullet about 9 months old. She is apart of a flock of 17. She keeps swinging her head gently from side to side. We have brought her in the house where it is warm, but we aren't really sure what to do for her past that. There was a little blood on her gobble when we found her. I checked her pretty throughly. She seems to be fine past that. Anything you could help us with we would appreciate. Thanks.

wow, without knowing what happened it is hard to offer advice. Soo for what it is worth I will offer what I would do. First remind myself to do no harm(don't make it worse). I keep saline so I might do a saline wash. Maybe a cold compress if she will tolerate you holding her to do it. No bright lights, that will be irritating. Give her the night to see how it looks in the am. It may have been a poorly placed peck from another bird. There are antibiotic eye salves and drops out there if things don't improve. If possible place her in a segregated pen like a dog kennel with food and water out in the coop. She will lose her place in the pecking order if you keep her inside and may have a hard time being accepted back in the flock.

Thank you for being so concerned, but she past away during the night. She was such a pretty sweet girl. My little daughter ask about her this morning. We told her right away. Her comment was, "She is all healed up now." We can't ask for more than that.

This morning as I was cleaning out my coop I found a trail of feathers. So probably something did get my precious bird. I is good to have closure. I was afraid she got sick and I wasn't paying attention. Although that means we need to be on alert more. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom