1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jtempleton, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jtempleton

jtempleton Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    I have a "special" need rooster. When he was 3 months old he lost complete use of his legs. After intensive home care, about 4 months later he started standing, then walking. He still has a limp, but was doing good. He is by far my favorite. I let him out yesterday and for just a few minutes left him unattended. When I went back out he had been attacked and his eye swollen shut. I immediately put some Terramycin ointment in his eye. This morning it looks terrible. The eye is still shut but it is swollen beyond belief. We don't have any vets here that treat poultry. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am sure he has lost sight in that eye. I feel so bad since this is my fault.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Any idea what happened to it?? Was he pecked, stung, poked by something? Is there an obvious wound? What kind of oozing, if any? Is there dirt, blood, fluid, pus, crusting?? Can you post pics?

4. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    guarrantee you if you get some la200 and give it .5 cc for 3 days it will be gone and you wont even be able to tell, had the same thing happen awhile back! good luck,

5. jtempleton

Jan 3, 2008
    Josh, what is la200 and where do I get it??

I failed to mention he was attacked by my Nazi hen, Isabelle, she just hates him, I guess due to his handicapped condition.

Thanks for your reply

6. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    oh... my bad, i just noticed it got attacked, im not sure then, my idea was for an infection.. hmmm anyone else????? might just have to wait it out and keep and eye on it and make sure its eating and drinking untill the swelling goes down...

7. jtempleton

Jan 3, 2008
    Thanks. He is eating and drinking. The swelling of his eye is terrible, much worse than yesterday when the attack occured. I am giving him some antibiotics to try to ward off infection along with the eye ointment. I have no doubt he will lose the sight in that eye.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* poor boy! I would give him some aspirin water for pain (5 crushed plain aspirin to a gallon) and the inflammation, and the antibiotic injection sounds like a good idea as well. Hopefully, he got his inner eyelid closed before the hen got hold of him and he just has the severe swelling.

9. jtempleton

Jan 3, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. His eye is less swollen today, however, it is oozing. I am afraid he has lost his eye. His appetite is good and he is eating his favorite treat, watermellon.

Keep us in your prayers. God loves chickens too.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* O.k.. What I did with Chook was wash hers with foam pump no-tears baby shampoo. A little poof on the eye (to soften any crust or gunk, I would let it set a few minutes.), rinse with sterile saline eye wash, dab the wetness and any gunk gently with cotton swabs and put in a drop or two of a protein-clearing eyedrop for contact wearers called "Blink and Clear". I did this AT LEAST twice a day, usually more. She was on antibiotics a long time as well. Also, she was in the tub for recuperation; I kept the tub AND HER FEET/NAILS extremely clean, in case she tried to scratch at it. Just because it is oozing doesn't necessarily mean the eye is gone. Chook's was in HORRIBLE shape. She lost sight in it, but still has the eye, and she had a 1/8 inch+ piece of roofing gravel lodged in it as it turned out, covered with a BIG plug of exudate and mucus. That came out one night and her eye got better rapidly after-- so, don't give up and don't give up hope!!!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by