1. FriendofChicken

FriendofChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    My Buff Orpington's right eye is swollen. Any ideas what it might be or what i can do to fix it? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it warm where you live, and are there mosquitoes out now? That looks like it could be fowl pox, but the eye looks pretty infected with a secondary infection. Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes. Could she have been pecked in the eye by others? Are there any signs of a respiratory infection, such as runny nose, noisy breathing? For now I would treat the eye by cleaning it with saline, and applying an antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin, or Vetericyn eye gel twice a day.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. FriendofChicken

Jul 23, 2014
    Im in central Texas. Its warm compared to the majority of the country. Havent noticed anything unusual. ive been out twice today and didnt notice it until now. I have saline wash and neosporin. I'll drop into feed store tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look over the other chickens for evidence of pox on their combs, wattles, and faces, although it can be on feathered areas also. If you don't feel this is pox, then I would treat for a possible respiratory disease, or a wound abscess with antibiotics. Fowl pox is a virus, and antibiotics generally don't help unless there are secondary infections. Here are some links to read about pox:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Avian_Pox
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/Fowlpox.pdf
    http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=35

5. FriendofChicken

Jul 23, 2014
    Those were great sites. This does look like Avian Pox, hopefully just the dry pox... They all talk about no treatment just prevention but I am going to continue with the saline and neosporin. I'll keep an eye on the other girls and do the same for them if I find any.

Would it hurt to give a little antibiotics just in case there is an infection?

Thanks for your help.

6. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    It could be also pecking by other hens. antibiotics shouldn't cause any harm, but if it is injury or viral infection they don't offer much help apart from preventing possible infection

7. FriendofChicken

Jul 23, 2014
    She does get picked on from time to time. I've heard that Buff's are so docile that other breads will act more aggressively towards them. I thought they were just establishing pecking order and it would stop.

I really don't want to introduce an antibiotic unless I have to. I'll keep monitoring her to see if it is getting worse and I'll have some antibiotic on hand just in case.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If I thought it was a sinus infection from a respiratory problem, then I would use the antibiotic Tylan50 injectable, and give it orally 1/2 ml twice a day for 5 days.

9. FriendofChicken

Jul 23, 2014
    I hung out with her a bit, shes really withdrawn. I think my other hens are giving her a hard time... checked waddle and there is some pox on there too. Saline and neosporin for now... shouldnt she have been vaccinated for this?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No hatcheries vaccinate for anything unless you ask for it, and fowl pox has to be done later. Mareks disease and coccidiosis vaccines are the most popular ones, but you have to pay extra for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by