Eye issue and looking unwell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinnyb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. tinnyb

tinnyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    One of my pullets is pale, hunkered down and looking unwell. She is spending most of her time away from the rest of the flock but is still wandering around the yard. She is eating and drinking, has been wormed and de-liced with Pestene in the past week but is not improving. One of her eyes looks like it has an issue. Any ideas as to what might be wrong and what I can do to help her? [​IMG]

2. tinnyb

Aug 2, 2013
    [​IMG] not the best pic sorry

3. Lolachook

Lolachook New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Can you get a better pic of the eye, and symptoms, swollen or opaque or pussy?

4. Bantamlover124

Bantamlover124 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Try giving her electrolytes, try feeling if she is skinny and see if their is in bloody poop in the coop. :)

5. tinnyb

Aug 2, 2013
    Will take some more pics in the morning. No puss, seems swollen between beak and eye, eye itself is opaque

6. tinnyb

Aug 2, 2013
    No blood in coop, she feels skinny though I have seen her eating every morning when I take out their breakie and she is drinking as I made sure when I put the wormer in the water.will take better pics in the morning

7. Bantamlover124

Bantamlover124 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Good, worms are bad too, not Coccidiosis so I think it is worms....

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be several things. Wash her eye,if no other symptoms ie: sneezing,difficulty breathing,discharge,then she may have been pecked or scratched herself. wash and apply an eye antibiotic ointment,i use polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment on my girls/boys. Recheck her for mites/lice,look under wings,vent area,base of tail feathers. Her crop is fine? Blood in coop was been mentioned on another post,if post was referring to Coccidiosis there DOES NOT have to be blood,not all strains of cocci have blood as a symptom. How does her poop look,one of the best indications to the health of a chicken is the condition of their poop.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably has a respiratory disease or an E.coli infection that can cause the eye swelling. She probably needs some antibiotics for mycoplasma, coryza, or E.Coli. What country are you in--can you get antibiotics?

10. tinnyb

Aug 2, 2013
    I'm in Australia, not sure what I can get but I'm sure I could find something somewhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by