eye issue in cockatiel

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
My son's girlfriend has a cockatiel, not sure but we think male, that she got from the vet's office where she works.
The vet's office got it from a pet store, who took the bird there with an eye issue. Supposedly no one can cure
this eye thing but I'm not sure why, and so the pet store just surrendered it to the vet. To me it looks like it might be a low-grade chronic eye infection of some kind. The vet's office gave the bird to her and told her to wash the eye with eye wash. That's correct, but is there any reason why we can't try terramycin eye ointment on this bird, like we would a chicken? Vet's office doesn't seem to know what to do, they're not an avian vet facility. The bird also has scaly dry skin and feather picks constantly. We birdsat him for
a week for her, and got him some cage bird spray with lanolin in it, and basically just made a huge fuss over him, and he seems
to have improved some just from that. But he is back with her now and I would like to suggest to her to try the eye ointment, but since it's a cage bird, just want to make sure first.

I would go ahead and use the terramycin on the eyes. I have used all sorts of chicken antibiotics on my parrots and visa versa. It is all the same stuff. You could probably use the stuff on your own eyes! I wouldn't wait either and get on it right away. Good luck!

I would take this bird to an avian vet to address the skin and eye issue. Could be a case of malnutrition, defect of the sinus, or a disease process that can be treated with antibiotics. I can't tell you how many cockatiels I've adopted with eye issues which was the result of chronic malnutrition or poor environmental conditions-overcrowded, dirty conditions.

Once these birds were treated, converted to a proper diet, and kept in clean surroundings they improved dramatically.

This little darling came to me with both eyes crusted. He also has a healed broken pelvis. He came to me practically blind and dragging a leg. Yet, he would eat if food was put in front of him, so I gave him a chance. With time, he improved, and with his determined nature, he recovered.

Back
Top Bottom