Eye Issue -- Not Serious

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cosmic-chick, Aug 1, 2010.

1. cosmic-chick

cosmic-chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    I noticed my 2 month old chicken has an issue with one of it's eyes. It just happened a couple of days ago. I let them free range in the yard during the day - so not sure if it happened while roaming about or if another chicken pecked at it...or it has some sort of disease? The eyelid looks like it's slightly closed. I'm wondering if I should seek help with it or not worry about it unless it gets worse. The chicken seems normal otherwise.

I'm brand new to this forum...so I need a little help (Sorry)... I need to find instructions on what to do about posting pics. I did upload a picture of it's eye in my uploads. Does this mean you will be able to see it?

Thanks so much,
    Cosmic-chick

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You have to copy the link and then paste it in a reply.

3. cosmic-chick

Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I just tried going to my uploads and found the URL and image code...tried copying and pasting and it doesn't work. When I select paste it only pastes this:
    7F1QOG87

Cannot figure out what I'm missing or doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Cosmic-chick

4. cosmic-chick

Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Do you have some antibitic ointment? It can not have the pain reliever in it though. You can rub that in his eye.

6. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Can you see any bubbles in it's eye? Any swelling in the rest of the face, nasal discharge, rattling in the chest or sneezing? If so, it may be a respiratory issue. These things often affect the eyes.

If not- she may have just gotten pecked. I had this happen with one of my girls. Her eye was swollen closed. I rinsed it twice daily with sterile saline solution and used antibiotic ointment. Like elite said, you want to make sure there are no pain killers in the ingredients. (Anything ending with a -cain) I actually used a terrimycin eye ointment from the feed store.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by